• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cometic MLS head gasket problems

agreed that it is strange, I can't really see how it could go in properly oriented and end up clamped like that. I've used two Cometics on my 8v b230, first was probably in 2015 second was this year - never had issues.

I will try to take some pictures of the gasket on the head and on the block...

I've had some issues with Cometics, but not misaligned holes. Mostly I'd get compression leaks after 5 - 10K hard miles.

(edit: on 16V heads, two of them, and different blocks)

Last edited:
There were some fitment issues with the rivet locations on the mls head gaskets. Also there is some suggested coating to use. Check out the prep and installation on Stealthftis pbase gallery. https://pbase.com/stealthfti/tsna
There is coating the head gasket and also he removes the rivet tabs because they get in the way of the head gasket seating.

would be interested to see. I don't think you mucked it up, it's basically impossible to put it on wrong.

I'm not too sure about that. I've put in a cometic gasket wrong. But you learn pretty quickly that it's wrong as coolant leaks out pretty quickly.

I'm not too sure about that. I've put in a cometic gasket wrong. But you learn pretty quickly that it's wrong as coolant leaks out pretty quickly.

I was put on the right way... Torqued to ARP's specs. Machinist says RA is correct also. He builds race motors all week long. The gasket just wouldn't seal right. It has am Elring on now. Going on the dyno in about a week.

Back