• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 turbo downpipe support pic needed

I started collecting my +t parts over the last 12 months and finally have a weekend to put it all in. I remember when I took all the parts off the 1990 740T there was some sort of downpipe support at the bottom 90 degree. I purchased a JT tuning full 3" turbo exhaust kit and it also has the support piece welded on.
Anyone have a pic of where/how its supposed to be supported? Was it against the bell housing somehow....
Screenshot2013-06-08at71956PM_zps4610f6dd.png

Thanks

There is a bracket coming off the trans, I have removed a few of them but anyways that is what you ar looking for. it mounts on 2 bolts on the lower passenger side of the trans and is formed out of steel rod with a sheet metal rectangle that has a bolt hole.

thanks, don't suppose you have a photo? I took as many parts as I could from the donor car but I just don't see anything that looks like it would work.

If you are at all handy with metal it is fairly easy to make something work without using the factory location.

Thanks for the pic n tips...
I installed everything and it all seems tight and not droopy. I have the exhaust manifold and turbo support bracket in. Just seems like a lot of weight with no support until before the rear axle where theres a big low shaped Y metal arm that goes where the second muffler connects so that is a rigid full support connection.

I guess I'll just leave it for now and and fabricate something to hang off the bellhousing.

Cheers

Thanks for the pic n tips...
I installed everything and it all seems tight and not droopy. I have the exhaust manifold and turbo support bracket in. Just seems like a lot of weight with no support until before the rear axle where theres a big low shaped Y metal arm that goes where the second muffler connects so that is a rigid full support connection.

I guess I'll just leave it for now and and fabricate something to hang off the bellhousing.

Cheers

It is a long way and a long lever because when steel or iron glows orange hot it's soft as butter, so that's exactly why the factory put a brace up to the top of the cat, and that one down on the bell housing to protect the turbo hot side & fasteners.

Good luck rigging up something or other.

:x:

Resurrecting this thread as I’m in this same spot on my 240. I’m trying to fit a b23et downpipe to b230ft with td04-15g straight flange and the dp bell housing mount just doesn’t end up in the right place. Was the b23et (or maybe it was b21et?) have the turbo in a different place relative to the bell housing? And does that bent wire mount face the front of the car or back because I can’t locate the dp to make the mount work either way. BTW: I cut the cone off the ET dp and plan to weld on a straight flange i have for the TD04. Any knowledge on this issue much appreciated.

I would make a support bracket if needed. My 3" downpipe has a flat rectangular piece of metal with three holes. The one hole is for a bell housing bolt. The other two holes are used for a large U clamp like an exhaust clamp. Works great. You may need a slightly longer bell housing bolt. You want the metal to be something like 1/4" thick so it's strong and won't bend from the U clamp.

Back