• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What's the Best upgrade You've done on your brick?

brickyard92

I finally got my Ecodes from Scandix last week. OMG, I don't know why I took so long to do it..It's worth every penny especially, having to drive to work at 5 AM every morning.
You never realize how important having the correct headlights are until you HAVE the correct ones.:)

For my 85 745, Upgrade to Jumbo brakes from a donor 93 940. Larger pads/rotors/swept area, better hub bearing system. Glad to get rid of the OE Bendix continually problematical finicky calipers.

Replaced the 83 hp 2.4L Diesel with a 240 hp 302 ci Ford V8. Replaced the BW55 with a 4 speed Ford 4R70W in front of a 3.31 rear end. Kinda got to be careful or you will spin the right rear tire.

Last edited:
16V redblock swap was loads of fun.
Then the 16V 'whiteblock' swap is a bunch more fun than that.

I finally got my Ecodes from Scandix last week. OMG, I don't know why I took so long to do it..It's worth every penny especially, having to drive to work at 5 AM every morning.
You never realize how important having the correct headlights are until you HAVE the correct ones.:)

Get a relay harness for that!
I've done all kinds of stuff to my 7, but when you're goin down the highway at 75 mph for a couple hours continuously every week, in the dark, or sometimes in the rain.... Reality is, performance stuff doesn't really matter. While i'm all for makin ponies and mayhem, safely and comfortably getting to your destination always comes first. Seeing where the heck you're going sooner, rather than later really ought to be first on a TB'ers list of mods

Get a relay harness for that!
I've done all kinds of stuff to my 7, but when you're goin down the highway at 75 mph for a couple hours continuously every week, in the dark, or sometimes in the rain.... Reality is, performance stuff doesn't really matter. While i'm all for makin ponies and mayhem, safely and comfortably getting to your destination always comes first. Seeing where the heck you're going sooner, rather than later really ought to be first on a TB'ers list of mods

Yes sir!

The first 'best' upgrade was tossing the BW55/AW55 in favour of an AW71L. The second 'best' upgrade was tossing the auto for a manual conversion. I love manualized autos, but converter stall is the DEVIL.

I’m sure there’s many more upgrades that we’ve all done and we forgot what we did. LOL
My next best upgrade was IPD lowering springs all around. Much better control and feel for my wagon!

V8 conversion of course, then full suspension redo with Bilsteins, bigger anti roll bars, wheels tires, poly bushings, springs. etc. laser under the hood is up there too I guess

Buying a set of Green Books from the Volvo dealer in 1986. Rebuilding a severely neglected '81 B21F. Changing the AW55 to PnP AW70. Rewiring the engine with teflon insulated wire and moving all the little black boxes and relays to one location. Moving the battery to the trunk. Volvo trailer hitch, three row radiator and vented rotors. Cruise control. IPD sways and 205/60-15 performance tires on 740 alloys. Changing the beige to BRG.

Poly bushings and kaplehenke spherical strut mounts.

I put new struts and strut mounts in my 245 and it still felt sloppy as ever. Turns out the aftermarket strut mounts were worse than my failing OEM mounts and the rest of my suspension bushings were shot. Once I replaced the bushings, The difference in handling, comfort and road feel was mind blowing.

Back