• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Boxing Control Arms...Worth It?

Volvo offers taxi arms from gcp still. They're boxed but have a provision to allow folding. Idk how important folding really is, seeing how the 850 arms are solid steel.

The rears should be stiffer in theory, but will experience a lot more force if you are using poly bushings in the rear

I wonder if the KL racing strut mounts are any good. You could pair them with their control arms for more camber and caster without switching to coilovers for spring clearance.

The KL arms and BNE Select strut mounts set to max caster make a 240 handle very very well (1.5deg neg camber and 7deg caster) . They really need delrin bushings front and rear to make them work well under heavy braking.

As far as boxing control arms...
For a DD: no real need unless your running big rubber up front, doing the occasional track day and really using your brakes. I have yet to fold/bend one at track days or drifting.
If your smashing rough roads: definitely box them.
KL Arms: I bent a set at a drift event. They?re now fully boxed, and now it destroys the rear control arm bushings if I hook a wheel on the inside curbing.

I wonder if the KL racing strut mounts are any good. You could pair them with their control arms for more camber and caster without switching to coilovers for spring clearance.

The KL arms and BNE Select strut mounts set to max caster make a 240 handle very very well (1.5deg neg camber and 7deg caster) . They really need delrin bushings front and rear to make them work well under heavy braking.

For a DD: no real need unless your running big rubber up front, doing the occasional track day and really using your brakes. I have yet to fold/bend one at track days or drifting.
KL Arms: I bent a set at a drift event. They?re now fully boxed, and now it destroys the rear control arm bushings if I hook a wheel on the inside curbing.

Rear trailing arms should be reinforced if you?re giving it the beans.

My setup. It's so so so so good.

Not a direct comparison, but my 142 rear trailing arms were starting to bend a bit. A simple strip of 1/8" steel stitch welded on there stopped the bending.

KL Arms: I bent a set at a drift event. They’re now fully boxed, and now it destroys the rear control arm bushings if I hook a wheel on the inside curbing.

On Shane's lifty boi it brought it from positive camber to roughly zero, maybe a little negative. (KL Racing Arms and BNE select mounting plates)

Still needs a non-tape measure alignment to verify :rofl:

Volvo version, probably still gives the unibody a chance.
93291311.jpg

24hr Lemons version...we ran spacers to move the ball joint out about an inch to give -3'ish degrees of camber while still using the stock upper strut mounts. Found this ripped apart before a race. These were box'd using Yoshifab plates, but it doesn't really extend to the end, and the plate was clearanced (poorly) for the bolts holding the ball joint to the spacer.

161732864.jpg

Probably should have welded a piece across the underside of the arm, out near the end.

160231672.jpg

Both my race cars have them - the road race car uses the Yoshifab stuff while my rally car has Alfalfa rallysport specials [a bit beefier than Yoshifab]

Both have been doing the job just fine for their respective applications.

Back