• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 12.5mm Fuel Line

iamrolling

The rubber hoses between the main fuel pump and the tank on my 93 940T are looking a little worrying. I read in the FAQs that the fittings are 1/2", so I bought what was described as a 1/2" fuel injection hose. But then, I opened the back of the caliper to the ID of the hose, pulling out when I encountered slight resistance. When I put the other end of the caliper over an exposed section of pipe, it fit a little too easily. Couldn't wiggle it, but it didn't quite feel like a match.
I come on here and do a search like I should have in the first place, and see that 7/16" or 12mm hose is preferred over 1/2". But here's where it gets interesting. This is a Gates Barricade MPI hose, and the text on the hose describes its ID as 12.5mm instead of the 12.7mm that every other 1/2" hose seems to measure. I have a few questions about this.
Will the missing .2mm make enough of a difference that I can just throw this crap on and be done with it? If the caliper is any indication, it will slide on and not wiggle, but it will slide on maybe a bit too freely. Is that good enough in this situation?
I learned from my search that 30r9 is the standard for these hoses, but this one says it's 30r14t2. 30r14t2 isn't in the one SAE manual I was able to find. Every statistic I can find for 30r14t2 makes it sound like it would be more than good enough for the tank to fuel pump connection, but is there anything about that location that would cause these hoses to fail prematurely?

Take an open end wrench and try to slide the open end over the fuel connector.

Or

Grab your vernier callipers and measure it.

Why not just buy the correct 12 mm hose and be done with it?
Can't find it in anything other than 30r6 or 30r7, and the same with 7/16.
And I'd still be left with a $10 length of fuel hose that probably doesn't exactly fit any machine on earth :oops:. I wonder if the seller would accept "I didn't know what I was doing" as a reason for a return. Unless I end up having to put it on and tighten down the clamps a little harder because the right part is so rare.

Take an open end wrench and try to slide the open end over the fuel connector.

Or

Grab your vernier callipers and measure it.
I checked it a little more closely this time. The tube measures 12.1mm, and the inner diameter of the hose comes to a shockingly large 12.9mm. Maybe I can return it as defective even if I bought the wrong part in the first place. I'd have the same problem even if, by some miracle, I ever came across something that uses 12.7mm fuel line.

Last edited:
That's 30r7. Will it hold up while being continuously loaded with fuel? SAE sure didn't make figuring this stuff out easy.
I hope I'm not asking too many stupid questions. But I want to be completely correct by the time I begin installing a hose. Since this involves a pressurized stream of fuel, I might not get a second chance if my work fails spectacularly enough.

Approved for gasoline, diesel fuel, water, air,heating oil and withstands higher levels of Ethanol up to E85

That means this hose can handle up to 85% ethanol in gasoline. Working temperature, -25 to 250 Degrees Fahrenheit

Working pressure 150 PSI, DIN 73379
Not suitable for In-Tank applications.

So there's no gotcha with 30r7 here? Perfect, thanks. Now to see if I can return this 1/2" fuel hose with a Grand Canyon's worth of extra internal clearance.

While on the subject, does anyone know the length, diameter, and SAE ratings of the hoses coming off the tank? I wasn't able to get a complete picture from a forum search.

Hello iamrolling,

The fuel line hose used in most Volvo applications is 12 mm ID. Like you I hunted all over for a 12 mm equivalent and it was either too small ID or too large to seal properly.

So ... just go to your Volvo dealer and order p/n 132257. It won't be cheap ~$40 USD for a 1 m (3'), length (if I recall correctly). That length will more than enough to look after your car, possibly 2.

Hope it helps.

I haven't had any problems with the bel-metric hose. I got rid of the under car fuel pump and it supports 20psi of boost. I'm running a DW300 in tank pump on the factory in tank level sender thing to the 12mm hose to a 1/2" AN hose barb that's connected to 3/8 id metal line that goes all the way inside the engine bay where the old K jet fuel filter used to be. From there I have an aftermarket fuel filter that goes to 3/8" high pressure hose to an aftermarket fuel rail and FPR.

you seem awfully concerned about your investment in a length of fuel hose, are you in dire financial straights?
Not at the moment, but the past 10 years have been so bad that the fear of wasting money is going to take some time to get past.

Just throwing my years of 740 ownership on the fire. I've been running 1/2" Earls line on mine, sender to hardline, hardline to filter for around 7 years or so. To date I've had 1 hose failure on the Aeroquip hose, started leaking between layers, and one failure of the Earls hose, got soft under one clamp and the clamp I used didn't quite have the reach to snug it up. A better fitting clamp snugged it up just fine. That's with straight E85, a 320LPH in-tank and line pressures as high as 75psi for a while.

If you're running a stock setup, that line doesn't see more than maybe 10-15psi, since the main pump builds the line pressure.

Sounds like you've got it handled, just throwing my experience on the pile.

Back