• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Warning about removing sound deadening

sloopy

2-digit whp
I'm in the process of removing the old sound deadening from my floors and the roof. I went for the wagon area center tub under the hatch first. I tried the dry ice method where you pulverize some dry ice and spread it across the surface and chisel up the old sound deadening. What ended up happening was it didn't help much and I barely got any sound deadening to come out before everything warmed up again. Worse, all the undercoating under the tub separated and now I have a mess to clean up and some new undercoating to apply...

Heat gun, scraper, wear a respirator and have some fans going.

EDIT:

uc

Last edited:
I had done some already with the heat gun. I didn't feel the urge to wear a respirator though I'm usually sensitive to chemical smells. I was outside so I guess I was pretty well ventilated. Is there anything dangerous in this stuff?

I figure I might as well protect myself from breathing any particulates I don't have to. My line of work requires a lot of PPE so I am used to it. Not sure what it is actually composed of.

It should just be good ol butyl

Maybe in a 122 it might have a little asbestos in it, but there shouldn't be any in a 90s car

Who knows? the Amazons, 1800's and maybe 140's had asbestos in the sound deadener. In fact Volvo advertised this. By 1992 one would hope that asbestos was no longer used. That said, I don't think you want to be breathing fumes from heated butyl.

Apparently the dry ice works best when you mix it with Isopropyl alcohol (check YouTube).

I got mine off when it was cold with an air chisel.

YMMV.

Heat gun has always been more convenient for me. The dry ice fills the car with CO2, plus you have to go buy it, apply it, and wait a bit. Had a customer who covered his rotted out floor pans with Dynamat Extreme, some roofing products, and several tubes of silicone. Heat gun, scrapers, and time are the answer. Not sure why he thought silicone goo would support his seatbelt brackets.
Anyway, a heat gun is the easiest solution. My buddies who do hillclimbs do the same on their builds.

Back