• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AC Delco Rack Pinion Steering Rack? 240

I have a ZF rack that my local rebuilder said could not be rebuilt, due to pitting.

Is there any way to fix the pitting?

The CAM rack that I replaced it with has a slow leak. It's leaking out of the input shaft seal. (The ZF had a fast leak, so the CAM is an improvement, but not ideal.)

ZF rack...Is there any way to fix the pitting?

I'd (myself) slap a kit in it. I have no idea if 'professional' re-builders would bore out a rack and insert a thin tublar sleeve in them.

Assuming this ZF rack was actively being used recently, I'd either send it to,

1. RockAuto's Rebuilder

or

2. Power steering delete

Doing it via item two method means vehicle should be moving when turning steering wheel, and a person should always keep one hand on the steering wheel. I assume Volvo engineered structural aspects so more additional forces involved would not be a safety issue.

I have a ZF rack that my local rebuilder said could not be rebuilt, due to pitting.

Is there any way to fix the pitting?

The CAM rack that I replaced it with has a slow leak. It's leaking out of the input shaft seal. (The ZF had a fast leak, so the CAM is an improvement, but not ideal.)

How bad is the pitting?
JB weld on a toothpick and some fine sanding/polish work could probably get it done.

sanding/polish work

Never messed with racks, but a brake hone would be the ideal way to clean up a bore...if just outer ends are where the pits are located. But, if JB is used, excess should be wiped out so a smoth round bore is seen...no fricken mountains for that brake hone to pass over.

Again, clean it up, and slap a $50.00 kit in it...a shop mechanic's opinion may be based upon reading a textbook.

Detroit Axle appears to be a scam. I ordered from them; they claimed to have a rack in stock. After a week of runaround, no shipment, and non-answers, I got a refund.

Then I had my ZF rack rebuilt by Rock Auto. Just installed it and it appears to be leaking already. Rebuild had some incorrect parts (CAM style inner tie rods and boots; inner tie rods appeared to be used, steel wire used to secure boots rather than correct clamps).

Looking for better options!

Detroit Axle appears to be a scam....

It's mostly been a reseller/distributor of parts...steering rack work most likely was contracted out, like RockAuto does.

>it appears to be leaking already.

"Power steering pumps have a built in spring-loaded pressure relief valve. This valve is designed to lower or stop hydraulic pump pressure when pressure reaches a preset value. You can observe this by steering to a full-turn of the vehicle?s steering limits or by attempting to turn the tire from a designated spot against an obstruction. Within the steering pump a valve will plunge and spring back without the driver?s awareness while turning. This valve design prevents overheating, and any potential hose or seal bursts.

If steering trouble occurs, the valve can be half or fully stuck within the valve bore of the pump. When half-stuck the driver experiences lowered or a complete loss of pressure; a common symptom of this occurrence is difficulty while steering with the engine in idle. (However this does not not occur if the engine rises above idle by any couple hundred RPM, at this point the engine power causes an influx of fluid creating an easier turn.) To ensure whether the valve is half or fully stuck check for this occurrence. In the event a valve is fully stuck, all power steering will be lost and the vehicle?s steering will act as if the engine is off. GM Saginaw pumps see this problem far more frequent than other manufactured pumps.

These symptoms are observable with ALL and ANY pumps: old , new, or rebuilt."

Back