• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My '78 242 L33 turbo build

I guess I could switch to that style rail thoogh probably. My system is returnless, I got a return style rail on the way just to keep options open, maybe that rail accepts a regulator. I do like the idea of less fuel lines however.

It has the reg built in. Just like andrewhans says.

I know where the early regulator is in the fuel rail, just not which rail it was in. The proper way to do it is in the front and rear of the rail,, but I'm sure GM put it on the return rail only.

I know where the early regulator is in the fuel rail, just not which rail it was in. The proper way to do it is in the front and rear of the rail,, but I'm sure GM put it on the return rail only.

Proper? You can make around 750whp on a piece GM designed for 285hp lol I think you'll be ok unless you plan on crossing that barrier.

I may cross 750 hp if I feel the chassis can handle it, if not I will box it in. I think the unibody may need bracing for that. Proper because my Porsche 951 and other serious cars regulate pressure at the front and rear of the fuel rails, not just at one end.

Its not really on either the feed or the return rail. It feeds the middle portion and return almost directly off that area as well. Works very very well.

I hear ya, but controlling pressure at the front and back of the rail seems like a good idea though. The barn door airflow meter wasn't a great idea...that car moved though, you could hit 149 MPH in 4th gear and it would still go like hell in 5th. It wasn't completely stock, but close.
That being said, I'm pretty sure Chevy has never been on the cutting edge of EFI either...

Correct... but there is at least 20years of development between that setup and todays modern efi systems... those efi systems were a pain in the ass joke to deal with.

Very true...

Got my simplified engine harness back, I think the 2nd pic is my new "check engine" light, its strapped to my OBD II port...

B5BAqPAl.jpg

HOTe9JKl.jpg

Hahaha thats awesome! Having owned both cars at the same time, the Porsche was faster, with much longer legs. It was 2 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile, 14 flat against a 16 flat.

I think the ad was stacking up the 944 (2.5L naturally aspirated) to the brick wagon. The 951's were 14 second cars (maybe high 13's on a cold day!) but the naturally aspirated cars in 2.5L form were never even close to 14's....low 16's was a good day. 944's had similar HP to the wagon in a slicker package - top end was likely better on the Teutonic wonder. However -- handling - wow. Very little handled as well in the mid-late 80's. Superb handlers. After 2 outside driver's schools, my first SCCA school to get my license, my instructor was a well known (locally) PCA club driver named Tipton Cherico (Houston, TX, late 80's). His car was a 944 and he showed me the line around Texas World Speedway. I still remember just how quick the 944 was around that track, despite not being the quickest accelerating car.

I had an 83 944 with adjustable Konis, Fuchs, fat tiers and ya, low hp but not much could keep on the back roads, could just floor it everwhere and it would stick. The guy I bought it from won a lot of autocrosses in his class with it. Loved that car

Big update! Got my 9" rear!

YXpY4eSl.jpg

bW0H9nVl.jpg

XYof4ztl.jpg

zfBYsGHl.jpg

69UV8inl.jpg

After some rough measurements its approx 55 1/2" hub to hub. The pumpkin is offset, but so is the 3rd member, it's about a 1/2" off center, is that ok?
Had Grenada brakes on it. Tag says it has LSD, but it doesn't lol. Seems to be from a '77 Bronco, at least the tag is haha

The very little background I got, it was parted out from a car built by "some company" who did 5.0 conversions, then laid in the weeds for many years haha.

Last edited:
I’d guess whoever set it up offset the center of the housing to allow for the pinion center being offset the other way. I’d bolt the section back in and hang the rearend in the car to see what you have - where is pinion relative to the tunnel; where are flanges relative to fender lips/frame rails.

Ok thanks, I'm a bit of time away from bolting it in, but we'll check that.
I need to figure out the bearing housings also, originally I thought they were Volvo, but they aren't. I really want to use my R brakes.

Ya, I figured that. Hoping for the best...the brackets aren't in the same place if you measure inwards from the hub, I thought they would be symmetrical, but they aren't. Well its a good starting point hopefully.

Back