• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Shaking to the death

Volvo engine mounts put in last year. Tranny mount replaced last year also. Engine doesnt buck when gassed. Pretty solid actually, no strange movement.

Shifter will come out of 1st gear sometimes. Guibo was replaced last year. If i hold the shifter while its in first i can feel alot of movement going down into the gear compartment. Its either the top half of the shifter or the bottom half going into the transmission

Worn tail shaft bushing, bad U/joint, check them out. We bought an 87 245 back in March, wicked vibration, worn tail shaft bushing and drive flange.

Its an M47 so unsure if that changes anything. I put a good driveshaft on there with solid ujoints and carrier barring and bushing as well. I have been trying to figure this issue out.

I hear a clunk sometimes bad when shifting and it hates decelerating. Its really rumbles down there in low gear and deceleration. Never thought of tail shaft bushing. What are you referring to as the drive flange? The 4 bolt assembly on the rear of the transmission?

Yes you said you replaced the trans mount last year but the symptoms are just like what a friend had where the mount was toast. Can you seriously inspect it, just to humor us?

Given the iffy nature of commonly available mount quality, it is possible that it could have failed so soon.

Just recently I did work underneath last month of rear bushings. I got down there and tried to move the transmission around and it wouldn't budge. The mount didn’t look detached but i could check it again.

Its always had this problem since I had it. Even through all the replacements

Maybe get the HD transmission mount (164 engine mount). I also noticed that worn shifter bushings can let the shifter flop around a lot.

Those two upgrades together fixed my shifter vibration issues.

When i assessed the shifter bushings going into the transmission they didnt look too bad and they definitely wouldnt cause clunking. I do remember last month when putting on the better driveshaft that the tailshaft assembly had play. Not horrible but definitely noticeable.

I never though of it but it is probably alot of my issue. Since I have replaced mostly everything

When i assessed the shifter bushings going into the transmission they didnt look too bad and they definitely wouldnt cause clunking. I do remember last month when putting on the better driveshaft that the tailshaft assembly had play. Not horrible but definitely noticeable.

I never though of it but it is probably alot of my issue. Since I have replaced mostly everything

What is your idle quality? What sort of cam? I noticed my shifter also did that when I ran a K cam. If you get on a twisty road does the shifter flap around a lot making it hard to shift?

Weird question, but did you have exhaust work recently? The exhaust is weird and doesn't have a flex joint. Too much rigity or too little can cause vibration. I had exhaust work done but they overly secured my exhaust and now my engine vibrates under certain frequencies... think about it, it's a giant metal pipe rigidly attahed to the engine and strapped to the chassis at various points...

If you've looked elsewhere I'd look at all your exhaust mounts and see if they're intact or have been modified

https://streamable.com/wjgt6v
shakyshaky.gif

Shifter will come out of 1st gear sometimes.

If i hold the shifter while its in first i can feel alot of movement going down into the gear compartment.

I hear a clunk sometimes bad when shifting and it hates decelerating.

Its really rumbles down there in low gear and deceleration.

If I didn't know better, I'd think something inside the trans is gone.

Worn synchros can let parts "walk" down the shafts until they disengage.
Bad shaft bearings will definitely cause a lot of noise.
What's the oil look like (assuming there's any in there)?
Clear and oily, or mostly shiny metal dust with a bit of oil mixed in?

If I didn't know better, I'd think something inside the trans is gone.

Worn synchros can let parts "walk" down the shafts until they disengage.
Bad shaft bearings will definitely cause a lot of noise.
What's the oil look like (assuming there's any in there)?
Clear and oily, or mostly shiny metal dust with a bit of oil mixed in?

I have noticed that OP hasn't told us whether the engine shakes in the same way.

Back