• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hackster's LSA / T56 2 door

So the steering jumped a tooth again? That's no bueno

The steering isnt jumping a tooth. I believe what is going on is the rear lower control arm bushings are moving around so much that they are affecting the alignment of the car, toe, camber, caster all of those are affected by this.

The Evergreen museum! That place is cool. They should let you autox on the wing of the Spruce Goose...

Having a seasoned instructor ride along with you a few times should do wonders for technique and confidence. Do you plan on doing any open trackdays with the car? I'd give the same advice for that as well.

Very cool place to do an auto cross, just with the course was a little bigger than it was, it was.

I have had a few instructors ride with me in the pickup truck on the auto cross course. It made me aware that I wasnt driving the truck very hard and it taught me a lot about looking ahead, braking and accelerating where to do it and cut down on lap times. I am struggling with the car a little bit though I can tell you that.

I have way more seat time on track. I have done 4 full instruction days with an in car instructor, classroom and on track at all of them. I have far more seat time and comfort on track than I do on the auto cross course. I find the two of them polar opposites. I feel very comfortable on track where I dont feel that way on an autocross course.

That was a fun event yesterday. I?m glad you made it out there. WMC will be running there on the 30th of this month. It looked to me like you were doing a good job of driving the car. My suggestion would be to do a course walk with someone that drives a RWD high powered car like yours. It?s all in the set up for each turn and planning ahead. You are really driving at least two turns ahead of the turn that you are in when driving correctly.

http://www.wmclub.org/

Thank you sir!!! Great event. I might have to try and make it out with the WMC folks, I ran with them a few times years ago, pretty low key group.

Aside from Ryan Davis, I didnt know a single person out there with you as the exception. A walk or ride along with a fast rear wheel drive guy is an excellent idea, it didnt really cross my mind and I am a little intimidated in those settings to chat with people, there are some that are totally friendly and happy to help, others not at all, you try and talk with them and they are not open to talking at all.

Was great to see you out there!!

Sean

Autocross is a lot more difficult than people think until they try it. Everything happens in an instant. It takes very quick reflexes and staying way ahead of the car. When you get more seat time autocrossing it will be easier for you to connect everything together into a more seamless run.

And yes, in every automotive sport including Autocross, there are super friendly people willing to help and total a-holes that would love to see you get a flat tire so you can’t beat them. :-P

The steering isnt jumping a tooth. I believe what is going on is the rear lower control arm bushings are moving around so much that they are affecting the alignment of the car, toe, camber, caster all of those are affected by this.

Well ****, that's a little disconcerting. At this point I'm curious what you're doing differently than other folks. Lots of people have put a lot of abuse on the IPD/superpro bushings without issue, I mean you're obviously running more tire than most people on here, but I wouldn't think you'd be able to kill them this quickly. Maybe you got a bad batch? Idk

Time to fab up some heim joint control arms???

Well ****, that's a little disconcerting. At this point I'm curious what you're doing differently than other folks. Lots of people have put a lot of abuse on the IPD/superpro bushings without issue, I mean you're obviously running more tire than most people on here, but I wouldn't think you'd be able to kill them this quickly. Maybe you got a bad batch? Idk

Time to fab up some heim joint control arms???

He replaced the front with Delrin - perhaps move to Delrin on the rear bush as well?

The bushings were still holding up ok. I do feel that the superpro bushings are far too soft for what I am doing.

Seems to be the most normal pose for the car, might as well take a pic of it.

FIlHup2h.jpg

Couldnt stand not knowing what was going on under there so I jacked the car up and got to work. Finding it was easy. Jack car up, wheel moved....

Grab wheel, the front lower control arm mount moves about 3/8" or so. I start digging further and the "stover" or lock nut is loose on the bolt that holds the lower control arm. Not only is it loose on there, its loose like you can thread it like a normal nut onto the bolt.

https://imgur.com/TfVFdkn

Also the hole in the crossmember is 14mm, while the bolt is a 12 mm bolt.

So here is what I came to the conclusion of, Replace the lower control arm bushings with the race superflex ones I ordered. I drilled out the sleeve for the front lower control arm up to 1/2" and ran a new grade 8 bolt with a new stover nut on it a little lock tight and it should be good. This was a much tighter assembly even when things were not tightened up unlike before.

I got one side done last night. Still need to do the other side tonight. It took me a little bit to figure out what I was going to do to fix it.

The hole in the crossmember was not egged out either, it was still perfectly round.

I am sure that I screwed something up somewhere but this is what I have now, should be better than stock in my opinion.

The good news is I can have the lower control arms out of the car in like 10 minutes now after doing it so many times. :roll:

Sean

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="TfVFdkn"><a href="//imgur.com/TfVFdkn"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

(click 3 dots at bottom of image on imgur site, select "embed post", copy the text and paste in the turbobricks reply box)

When I was running tires wider and stickier (305/30/18s) I had fully adjustable spherical control arms... never had an issue

bushings could be sus.

Also, id recommend reinforced the mounting holes on the cross member. Ive had those wallow out when you aren't using the knurled volvo bushes.

(click 3 dots at bottom of image on imgur site, select "embed post", copy the text and paste in the turbobricks reply box)

I tried that, wouldnt actually link to the photo but I must have been doing it wrong. Thanks for the help!!!

When I was running tires wider and stickier (305/30/18s) I had fully adjustable spherical control arms... never had an issue

bushings could be sus.

Also, id recommend reinforced the mounting holes on the cross member. Ive had those wallow out when you aren't using the knurled volvo bushes.

I had wondered about how the stock stuff stayed in place, I forgot that the sleeve portion of that had knurling on it.

This was great advice.

I am going to see how this works and go from there.

When I got over to the passenger side, the nut and bolt were also loose, not as bad as the drivers side but still, not suspension parts tight like it should have been.

I done have any fancy machinery at home but since this isnt a pretty part, it just needed something to allow it to bite into the crossmember I had at it with my hacksaw to give it some teeth.

u0ecy8Qh.jpg

Performed same treatment on this side, drilled out sleeve to a tight .50" hole, replaced the lower control arm bushings with the superflex black "Race" bushings Used a new .50" bolt, heavy washers, stover nut and lock tite on the bolt.

Took the car out for a quick stroll to see how it was. Most solid the car has felt since its been on the road by a long shot. Curious to see if these stay tight over the weekend if they do I think its problem solved and move on to something else.

Turn one pump showed up last night looks nice, billet pulley is sweet but the pump is not drilled to accept my brackets......so call them and figure out whats up with that.

Now to get some sort of an alignment on the thing before the weekend.

Sean

In search of how to get a little more air for the radiator....I had always liked the front bumper on Jerd's Gold wagon so I got to chopping. Stupid pilot hole drifted a little bit so they are not all where they are supposed to be but a little bit of black paint on the inner structure and you will never see them at least I hope.

Thanks for the idea Jerd.

OUmUDoch.jpg

K9Lrg6kh.jpg

Power steering pump showed up as well, have not gotten a chance to install yet, might wait until next week.

Beautiful piece though.

71Wkrlrh.jpg

Helping the neighbor with a 70 F100 and we needed to cap the lines on the mustang tank sending unit. So a couple small plugs and silicon bronze TIG'd it up last night. Should hold back fuel no problem.

OVzyDRbh.jpg

Truck is cool, Coyote, MT82, crown vic, coilovers front, boingers in the rear still but doing cal tracks. I have done most fo the welding and fab work on it. Still gotta do motor mounts and tranny mounts and we can drop the engine and trans in.

I ordered a GPS Speedo cause I am sick of not having my speedometer working. vnet module shipped out but antenna is coming from Texas so its a week out.

I did a string line alignment on it after all the frontened work and for my first try with it I think I did pretty good. Wheel is straight, tracks well both under power and under braking.

SCCA Time Trials this weekend at PIR so hoping the car does well.

As a side note, after building this the last year and now a few months of working the bugs out of it I am getting pretty burned out and I think a break is needed from car stuff for a while.

Happy Friday!!

Sean

Stock air dam and air scoop tray on my car was good to 125mph on numerous occasions...

As a side note, after building this the last year and now a few months of working the bugs out of it I am getting pretty burned out and I think a break is needed from car stuff for a while.

Happy Friday!!

Sean

Definitely been there. Happy Friday!

Back