• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW70 or AW70L in 1993 Volvo 244? Your opinion please

Michael92

Hi there,

I have a 1993 Volvo 240 that just developed a front transmission seal leak and is leaking from the bellhousing area. Not very much, but you know, it leaks. The car has a bunch of miles and when I got the car at 215K (now at 285K) the trans fluid looked like it had never been serviced. Black as coffee.

I changed the fluid and in the peak of Michigan summers it would shift hard. Also, reverse is awfully weak in this car often clicking and struggling to pull the car up slight to moderate inclines.

I sort of knew one day the day would come that I would look more seriously into swapping transmissions, and actually I exasperated the problem because the leak happened after I poured half a bottle of old lucas trans fix as preventative maintenence...oops.

So I have a local guy here with 3 trans options. He has a AW70L for $150.00, 2 AW71's for $100, and 1 low mileage AW70 for $100. My car probably has a AW70, though I have not verified.

Which would you choose and why?

Yes, the car has an AW70 in it. It's the best version since it has a bearing supporting the output shaft starting in 93 as far as I know. What is your use with the car? Do you have plans for a turbo? Then you need the AW71. The AW70L is nice with the lockup which should be a bit better for mileage. My personal choice if I was staying stock would be to get the low mileage AW70. Your best chance of having a long service life, imo.

Back