• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pinging

Kakkarotttto

I hear all you guys talking about, at higher boost pressures you will stat to ping.

Well what does Pinging sound like? or is it something you feel?
As of right now i am having a mis fireing problem when i go into boost over 3,000RPM. My car is a 88 740, normal mods. Cone Filter with heatshield, 2.5 Catback Exhaust, E. Fan, no A/C, and running 10PSI (mototrs got a lot of miles and i dont wanna run to much boost).

I know i am not running enough boost yet to ping but I'm intrested in what it will do IF i ever boost that much so it doesnt scare me or something

Timing and temperature are the 2 most common causes when you are still in low boost range...I only get knocking in the summer monthes when the temp is high 80's and 90's...Right now in the cool weather I can go like crazy w/o any worries...

ok..bringing back OLD thread!!!! Sry guys. I got my 242 Now, just i hear this sound..ONLY if im at WOT and max boost, and on the Boost gauge it reads 6psi. Im thinking its somthing else? it doesnt sound like a ball in a spray can...its like clack clack REALLY fast..like a rattle. My moms car used to do it ALL the time for at least 2-3 years when you would romp on it, its NA. Its faint too, hers was LOUD, and her car is quiet..my car is pretty loud but not as loud anymore. I dunno what this is?. Im thinkin of going to buy some Touluene tomm. I put 87 in it now..hey its only 6psi. B4 i got my T3 Watercooled, i was running 10psi..I THINK. the overboost light would come on..now it dosent. The gauge just vibrates really fast at 6-6.5 with the 90+mani. I guess its when the wategate opens. Aight thanks!

Kakkarotttto said:
I hear all you guys talking about, at higher boost pressures you will stat to ping.

Well what does Pinging sound like? or is it something you feel?
As of right now i am having a mis fireing problem when i go into boost over 3,000RPM. My car is a 88 740, normal mods. Cone Filter with heatshield, 2.5 Catback Exhaust, E. Fan, no A/C, and running 10PSI (mototrs got a lot of miles and i dont wanna run to much boost).

I know i am not running enough boost yet to ping but I'm intrested in what it will do IF i ever boost that much so it doesnt scare me or something

Have a look at this gizmo on my web page that will let you see if you have ping or knock.

Boris740 said:
Have a look at this gizmo on my web page that will let you see if you have ping or knock.

do it! it sure does let you know....

this is also a good way to tell (costs more though)

06.jpg

Neil it sounds to me like it's more than just pinging... If you currently run 87, try putting in some premium... If it's still there, and you're only running 6psi, it very likely is NOT pinging.

yes...im thinking ignition...i burn ALOT ALOT of fuel..im getting tired of this..my DD got around 2mpg and now i get a new 242Ti and i get about 4-5 mpg WHY! i thinking fouled plugs, the gas smells awfuly rich and im sure my cat is bad. I put some premium in yesterday...and wal lah, the sound is gone.

Neil Peart said:
yes...im thinking ignition...i burn ALOT ALOT of fuel..im getting tired of this..my DD got around 2mpg and now i get a new 242Ti and i get about 4-5 mpg WHY! i thinking fouled plugs, the gas smells awfuly rich and im sure my cat is bad. I put some premium in yesterday...and wal lah, the sound is gone.

2 and 4.5mpg????

you have serious car problems there...your KJet is messed up...get a bentley manual and check EVERYTHING for proper spec!

also...check your fuel system for leaks...your mileage will go waaaay down if the gas in the tank isnt getting to the engine ;-)

got haynes...i have...i think something with the preheating system...i bet the plugs are black with crap now...cant check..no tools to take em out yet.:oops: . But ill have to look at it. this really pisses me off though. Im sure i dont have any leaks..but i shall check.

:omg: WOW!!! a top fuel car get's better mpg then that!!! I run 125 octane from a small airport near my home $6.22 a gal, and still doing 12 mpg.,, Mad boost,, no ping! but as you know I am not running right now,,,4 1/2 inch's,,mite as well be a mile!!!:-(

Back