• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone rebuild Volvo brake boosters?

arsenix

I have three J/Y brake boosters kicking around... ALL of them have slow vac leaks. From what I've seen of the internals of these the internal diaphragm is metal and probably lasts close to forever. There is a big o-ring around the outside that I assume is the one leaking... anyone ever pried up the crimps and pulled these apart to replace it? I've also been tempted to dry squirting a little gas around the outside to expand the o-ring and see if they will seal up.

Maybe not worth the time but I'm cheap :)

James

How common is the slow vac leak described here? I replaced the check valve, seal, (the $20 bosch one too :lol:)and hose to manifold to my booster and it still will not hold vac overnight. I too would like to know if these can be fixed easily

How common is the slow vac leak described here? I replaced the check valve, seal, (the $20 bosch one too :lol:)and hose to manifold to my booster and it still will not hold vac overnight. I too would like to know if these can be fixed easily

For me... in CA... it seems UNIVERSAL! Maybe it is the dryness? I have five brake boosters kicking around (2 in cars). All five leak at various slow rates. Some leak down in an hour... some overnight. One of the cars was previously a NE resident for ten years and only started slow leaking until it moved here.

I know people replace the seals in boosters, just never seen it in Volvo. If I get a chance I'll just sacrifice one of my [leaking] spares and open it up.

The internals of these vary quite a bit though... some clearly have a lot more rubber parts than I thought. This Z-car thread has a full disassembly photo montage:
https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/56133-brake-booster-disassembly/

That is labeled as a Bendix unit. The Volvo ones may be different.

The Volvo ones are Bendix branded on many of the cars I've worked on. I have a spare or two stashed and was thinking I may need to replace mine in my 93 wagon.

Back