• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Diagnosing clacking noise

below the surface

https://imgur.com/s72Y3PV

I have recently noticed a clacking noise coming from the engine; it seems to be coming from around the alternator. It sounds like something is loose. But so far I have not been able to find anything loose. Does anyone recognize this noise?

Does anyone recognize this noise?
Sounds like water pump bearings to me.
Any pulley movement if you grab the the fan blades and wiggle forward/backward?
Probably have to loosen the belts to do a proper test.

If you have a "mechanic's stethoscope", or even a piece of small-diameter rubber hose you can stick in your ear, you can move the other end around the area to pinpoint the noise.

5ed9c83e48787c270310247e-large.jpg

There's mine, hiding under the box of gloves......

cart.jpg

Last edited:
Take the belts off start it up,does it still make noise. Look for the cause /WP /ALT/PS/ bad belts?

For some reason I get no sound when I view videos in imgur. I can tell you an alternator with worn bearings can have enough slop that the cooling fan on the alternator can hit the body making a clacking noise.

For some reason I get no sound when I view videos in imgur. I can tell you an alternator with worn bearings can have enough slop that the cooling fan on the alternator can hit the body making a clacking noise.

There?s a little image of speaker with an x in the top right hand corner. I had to repeatedly tap it for the sound to come on.

A stethoscope FTW.

Thanks, I missed that slider. Sounds like either the water pump bearing failing and letting the impeller kit the block. Or the alternator as mentioned. Perfect to check with the stethoscope. If you are careful you can also use a long screwdriver and hold it to your ear to figure out where the problem is. Be careful if you try that.

Back