• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Globex Corp presents: 255

Hey, I remember this car! Exciting progress, can't wait to see it in paint. There's only a few projects on here that have had real body work and paint done and it's always a treat.

Well yours has always been quite motivating.

It doesn't feel like much yet (other than Theresa getting to park in the garage now) but atleast I can pretend it's moving forward again. LOL

Doug. I had my s70 in my brother in law's shop for over a year and it's still not done. In fact the butchered my paint job and has yet to paint my deck lid, bumpers and misc. Stuff. So be careful what you wish for. Lol. My situation is different because family. Stay away from that is my advice. May have to repaint my car. Bondo shrank and can see lots of scratches through paint due to course sanding. To say the least I was pissed. Not to mention all the runs from clear. Oh well. I may have to live with the paint job for a while till I find another shop and more money. 3500 later this is where I sit . Good times.
Did I mention this is now a more than a 3 year project since it got last ran?

It's not much of an update but I sent the block to Roger to have him install the closed deck plate. Figured I might as well post pictures from the last machine shop thing, the windows milled in above the crank.

167466436.jpg

167466434.jpg

Looking forward to getting it back from Roger!

It's not much of an update but I sent the block to Roger to have him install the closed deck plate. Figured I might as well post pictures from the last machine shop thing, the windows milled in above the crank.

Looking forward to getting it back from Roger!

Mine came out like this after getting a deck job. Blockguard and shims:

EPxrKSw.jpg

zEnIXrX.jpg

Before I forget to mention this, I would consider ditching the ATP manifold for something else. It positions the turbo quite low, which makes the oil drain a huge headache. It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to either run a scavenge pump for the drain or replace the manifold with something else and rework everything on the turbo side of the engine.

Before I forget to mention this, I would consider ditching the ATP manifold for something else. It positions the turbo quite low, which makes the oil drain a huge headache. It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to either run a scavenge pump for the drain or replace the manifold with something else and rework everything on the turbo side of the engine.

Yeah I've been following along. It's funny, I talked to Chris at length about it at Davis and he's still convinced that the draining to the pan wing should be fine. I think I still may do my plan of using some aluminum tubing and coming in thru the side of the pan and draining above the wind age tray.

Yeah I've been following along. It's funny, I talked to Chris at length about it at Davis and he's still convinced that the draining to the pan wing should be fine. I think I still may do my plan of using some aluminum tubing and coming in thru the side of the pan and draining above the wind age tray.

Eh, I wouldn't say I was convinced - I would need to see the exact setup and understand the details. But it can work. The main thing I think we talked about was there are two schools of thought for gravity turbo drains... 1) drain above the oil level into the block or up high on the pan, and work to keep crankcase pressure down, to allow free drainage. 2) Drain down into the sump under the oil level so that your turbo is isolated from crankcase pressure (like the drain tube that comes off the bottom of a Redblock oil separator box, which goes down into the oil).

If turbo mounting is such that you can't drain high on the block or pan, or can't maintain gradual bends, then 2) can be doable since your crankcase air pressure doesn't directly make its way into the turbo drain line and center housing, since it's buffered by liquid oil. In that case though your drain tube or hose ID would need to be quite large. Oil volume increases significantly through a ball bearing and it's quite foamy on the way down.

Well now I?m interested.... perhaps it?s worth increasing the drain line size

edit: for reference, here's the drain in question. posting links rather than embedding to not clog up Doug's thread too much

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4318/36002723692_5dd4c39ff4_b.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4305/36002725322_3c699ddb31_b.jpg

Not clogging it up at all. I've had the same concern when I first put mine "together" and it's been a worry for a few years.

So now it looks like we have two options:

1. Switch to AN12 to increase the internal volume of the drain line, that might help provide some cushion in terms of draining to the pan wing.

2.: Or my alternate plan:
167488264.jpg

Weld an AN10 on an small tube extension here above the windage tray. It'll mean that the return is going to be more or less parallel to the ground for the last say 1/2" of flow but I think that would be ok. I can still come in on a relatively low angle to it (45* at the fitting) and straight down from the turbo. This would be a bit less than ideal in terms of angles but at least would put it above oil level.

I'm definitely willing to test out option 1 if stepping up to 12an would be beneficial. I'm hoping to avoid pulling the engine to deal with the pan.

Thinking about increasing that internal volume... would it be helpful to take that a bit to the extreme and build a reservoir of sorts in between? Or is that just going to slow the flow of oil even more and make things worse...

Last edited:
Back