• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

R32rennsport's Amazon Thread

While I let the glue dry on all the carpet padding I revised my front lighting situation. I'll get around to wiring it eventually, but I'm digging the new arrangement. The old 5 inch Hella driving lights I used to have will get mounted to my VW Golf, because rally light all the things!

Finished up all the interior odds and ends this weekend. I've been working on the interior floor coverings for the past few weeks a little at a time in the evenings. It was my first time installing any sort of carpet kit and it was a learning experience. First lesson was I should have done all of this before installing the heater box and and pedal cluster but I worked around it. I got it to fit ok, still not 100 percent satisfied but it's good enough. I used the pre made kit from VP Autoparts as well as a special ordered tunnel piece from them for an 1800 since I used a trans tunnel from one of those vehicles, essentially a hybrid of two kits.

I'm glad I had extra material from the second unused tunnel piece as with all pre made kits they are made to fit exactly with very little overlap in coverage and I ended up with some gaps to fill. My biggest lesson was to cut down the pre cut jute about 10% dimensionally before gluing to the carpet backing as the out side edges of the carpet would not lay properly otherwise. I opted to not glue the carpet to the floors for easy cleaning and removal if the carpet were to ever get wet. I see very little issue with this as all the carpeting is very restricted from sliding due various obstructions and pinch points. There were a few spots where the kit fit very loose and I built these areas up with extra jute material from my local upholstery shop. I went back and stapled jute to the bottom and back of the rear seat plywood for additional sound dampening as well.

In the front quarter kick panels I glued quarter inch thick water resistant insulation foam as backing to the cardboard panels as I did with the trunk lid liner for additional noise suppression, as this area is responsible for quite a bit of road noise, especially on gravel roads (when I coated the wheel wells last year I gave this area two additional coatings as well). Instead of using the factory insulation kit on the upper firewall behind the dash I used a combination of butyl and waterproof insulating foam sheet as the factory kit from VP was nearly impossible to install with the pedal cluster and heater box/valve in place (I had also sealed the dozen or so holes previously used to secure this kit with rubber plugs and sealant as when these fail it creates multiple sources of intrusion into the cabin).

I always wondered if the 1800 tunnel carpet would fit in a 122. I've gone over this several times in my brain. I'm glad someone has actually done it, and it is possible. Looks good nice work

Wonderful.

I did DynaMat under the carpet and a fiberglass pad under the hood. She is improved, but being a wagon, still not quiet. I've been talking with a few retailers about products that may help reduce the low frequencies. Seems that there is a lot to reducing noise.

Wonderful.

I did DynaMat under the carpet and a fiberglass pad under the hood. She is improved, but being a wagon, still not quiet. I've been talking with a few retailers about products that may help reduce the low frequencies. Seems that there is a lot to reducing noise.

Thanks. The wagon is a much larger speaker box in shape then a coupe with much more expansive sheet metal. Ideally lining the roof while the headliner is out makes a significant improvement.

Well last night I took it out for a drive for the first time in well over a month to evaluate my recent work. The change in cabin noise is SIGNIFICANT and I haven't even lined the doors yet. The first test was driving down the gravel driveway where it normally sounded like a barrage of BB's being shot at the under side of the car, I could only hear the largest of stones hitting the wheel well and those were just thuds. Once out on the open road the car was eerily insulated, the engine sounded far away, road noise and exhaust was just a whisper. It was quiet enough in the cabin that I heard rattles that I didn't even know I had. I can say with confidence that it was worth it, long trips should now be quite enjoyable... now on to repairing the overdrive.

Hello I'm new to the volvo world and would like to know what wheel set up is the gold wheels you had thanks cool ride.

Hello I'm new to the volvo world and would like to know what wheel set up is the gold wheels you had thanks cool ride.

Hey thanks! The gold wheels are factory wheels that have been cut and banded. 2 inches were added to the outside lip making the wheels approximately 6 to 7 inches in width. By doing this the wheels have retained factory backspacing. I typically run 205/60/15 tires on these wheels.

The American Racing Torq Thrust originals are nearly identical in spec but have a slightly more favorable offset so more rim is inboard of the car using the same width rim and tire.

I guess I need to put a reasonable exhaust on my 122 so I can hear if the sound deadening actually did anything for me haha. Great work on yours!

I guess I need to put a reasonable exhaust on my 122 so I can hear if the sound deadening actually did anything for me haha. Great work on yours!

Thanks! Laying sound deadening is a tedious job (and not kind on the knees, I eventually sprung for good quality knee pads).

Road and mechanical noise was actually a bigger concern for me. The Simon's sport exhaust is very well engineered with virtually no drone, a high quality product!

That?s the hardest thing for some of us huh 🤔 ah to be single again lol

The guys and myself were having this discussion today at the shop. I am one of those that has an automotive slush fund separate from family finances. Say I sell a car or parts or I do side work for a friend, that goes into my slush fund. Anything I make on the clock goes to family savings. Occasionally, I dip into my slush fund to bankroll gifts or family vacations as well. I'm a firm believer is being allowed to set aside money for personal hobbies and interests but it's usually something that needs to be discussed before marriage and not after ;-)

So stoked to have an operational overdrive again. If you want to read about my overdrive saga as well as some good reference head over to the maintenance forum.

So stoked to have an operational overdrive again. If you want to read about my overdrive saga as well as some good reference head over to the maintenance forum.

I'll head over and check that out. My m41 is leaking oil everywhere. Its in the car but I've not tested the OD yet. Once I confirm its functionality I need to pull and reseal it.

Also, you got my vote at IPD, good luck!

Back