• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 steering rack and SRS light

Oily

Having just replaced a leaking PAS rack on my car I noticed the SRS light is now stuck on and the steering column lock doesnt work anymore.

I must have done something wrong but dont know what, I did very lightly tap the splined uj to remove it but was careful not to hit it hard. Could this have caused the problem and any suggestions on a fix.
Im not bothered about the steering lock as long as it does not cause a problem but the SRS light will be a problem come mot and I would rather it worked.

See if you can reset the SRS system following the instructions on the brick board for a 1992 and older 7-9 series. It is done in the exact same way. Did you let the steering wheel/shaft turn when you had the rack disconnected? Turning the steering wheel with the rack disconnected can ruin the clock spring that connects the air bag to the rest of the system. It has a small range of motion in each direction it is designed to operate in. If you exceed that range, you damage the clock spring.

Thanks 2manyturbos I did move the steering wheel whilst the rack was off so it sounds like ive damaged the spring. Is this a replaceable item or have I really made a mess.

You probably turned the steering wheel a few turns while the rack was off- that would brake the coiled ribbon cable for the airbag. It's a replaceable item. But I don't see how that would be related to the lock not working.

Back