• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'92 944T no power to fuel pump after not being used for 4 months.

deadken

I parked my Blue 1992 944T (yeah, I've had several) earlier this year since the AC doesn't work and I wanted to use other cars for the hot weather months. Well, this global pandemic thing has kept me busier than I expected and I didn't get around to starting moving it every now and again like I usually do to keep the brakes, exhaust, etc.. in good working order.

A few weeks ago, I went to start it and of course the battery was dead. I put my jumper pack on it and it wouldn't start. I noticed that I didn't hear the fuel pump working. I left it for another week or so until I replaced the battery (that one was rather old) and of course, it still wouldn't start. So, I grabbed the fuel pump relay from my old Green 944T and swapped that it hoping it would solve the problem, it didn't.

So, I went to the trunk and took out the mat and access panel to get at the fuel pump. I had my son turn the key on and off a few times while I checked for voltage (no voltage). Then I realized that I think that I should be checking the pump under the car (and not the 'pre' pump). So, I figured that I'd check in here in case anyone is familiar with this and wants to guide me in diagnosing this.

EDIT: At this point, I am heading out to check fuse #1 which should have power with the key on. Then, it goes through on the brown wire to feed the fuel pump relay, which comes out on a pink wire and feeds the primary fuel pump and continues on to feed fuse #11, which feeds the prime pump and the O2 sensor heating element.

BTW: What is the best source for wiring diagrams for our old Volvo's? It's time I made a worthwhile investment! I've been using THESE

Last edited:
Okay, here's a well learned lesson.... Be sure that you grab the right white rectangular relay when you swap in a spare relay to test a simple problem!

As it ends up, I just took apart half the dash (center console, kick panels, MCC, etc...) just to find out that I had swapped the overdrive relay, not the fuel pump relay :-(

I'm going to put things back together and drive my car!

Oh, and I found these WIRING DIAGRAMS for a 1993 944 which I think are a lot nicer to use. Just remember to verify your circuit with the other wiring diagrams since the others are for a 1992 and these are for a 1993 (most things match up, but it would be my luck to find the one circuit that changes from 1992 cars to 1993 model year).

Last edited:
Did you check for trouble codes?

Best source for good wiring diagrams: Mitchell manual, copied at our local library.
No I didn't check for codes. I could hear that the fuel pump wasn't running, like it should have when the key was turned to the on position, so I immediately started there...

Thanks, I'll have to see what is available in my library.

I have diagnosed fuel pumps before by removing the relay and using a mometarily closed switch with two wires ending on spade terminals to emulate it. So all I had to do was turn power to car on and press button. If I could hear pumps working, I knew the problem was relay or before it. If not, I would then check power at the pumps to see if pump or wire.

If the above works, then a multimeter or a light bulb with two spade terminals would double as the signal circuit of the fuse.

Back