• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1992 240 No Crank

volvbro

Hi all,

My 1992 Volvo 240 with M47 will not start after I pulled the motor and put it back in, and I was hoping you all might have some ideas. Starter will engage with the flywheel when key is turned, but it will not attempt to turn the motor over. I heard some sort of snap when I tried turning it over today so I believe the issue to be electrical and not getting enough power to the starter (incorrect wiring) but I'm open to ideas.

Regards,

Max

Place jumper cable on ground side of battery, and other side on engine somewhere.

Positive and negative cables must be secured...one to starter and one to engine ground...fastening nuts must be tight.

Otherwise, disconnect battery, and remove starter, and bench test.

Why did you remove and reinstall the engine? What happened in the meanwhile?

Engine was removed to do some maintenance work. One of the reasons was because I needed to replace the oil pan gasket, but couldn't get the pan out. I understand it's possible, but I tried on multiple occasions and no matter the direction and how high I jacked the motor up, the pan wouldn't come. Motor was out for a couple days then it went back in. WHEN I WENT TO START, I accidentally hooked one of the positive cables to the block, so when I hooked up the battery, it started smoking. It was like that for maybe 3 seconds as we figured out what was going on. But it still happened regardless.

Battery OK?

That put hundreds of amp drain on the battery if only for a few seconds. Surprised it didn't blow up.

Glad you weren't injured from molten metal (seriously).

You probably burnt up one of the heavy red or black battery-to-block cables, or maybe just toasted the connectors. You may have also damaged the woven ground cable between the valve cover and the bulkhead when trying to start after fixing the cables. I'd start by pulling both the red and black battery cables out and inspect them, and the end lugs, carefully for damage.

Battery is OK. I checked with a multimeter that the battery is good @ 12v and the starter is getting 12v. How can I check for burnt connectors? Just by looking at them? Power/ground cables look fine. All electronics turn on when the key is turned to "On". You can hear the starter engage with the flywheel when the key is turned.

Hi all,

Thank you to everybody for your help. I traced wiring like 5 times, checked and cleaned grounds, checked the ECU, and basically started pulling my hair out BUT I ended up going out and getting a new starter. Took less than 10 minutes to put in and she was turning over. Put the fuel pump fuse in and she fired right up. I'll be moving this thread over to the "Projects and Restorations" sub-forum so I can document my progress on this car for the future. I post frequently on Instagram if anyone wishes to follow there, @volvbro. Thanks to everyone again!

Please explain how to install a starter in ten minutes

towforlife3.jpg

Back