• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

No gears after AW71 swap and accumulator mod.

Come again? You're suggesting the gear selector pieces aren't aligned in the comb correctly?

there's only one piece. the rooster comb is in the case, you can't really get it out of alignment, but if you don't have the selector valve engaged on the pin in the rooster comb, it'll get pushed in out of alignment, and just stay there. the fact that it goes clicky clicky just means you remembered to put the spring tab back on at the end (held down by valve body bolt(s))

To clarify, park works and locks everything in place, any other selection I can roll the car back and forth by pushing it. When I select a gear while the car is running, I have no drive at all in 1, 2, D or R. It just revs freely any gear. It is also not an AW71L, just and AW70.

I removed the oil pan and verified that the rooster comb thing is in place correctly, by comparing it to the old transmission I just removed. There is no way I could use the selector to shift into any gear if that was wrong from what I can tell.

The new theory is this:

When I first did the +t and I was mating the original AW70 with the engine and did not align the torque converter correctly, having to rattle the two together, violently. *Cringe* As a result, I found that I had completely cracked the trans oil pump, destroyed the spline on the input shaft on the transmission, and couldn't turn the engine oflver as the flywheel was essentially locked in place.

I then replaced the AW70 and torque converter with an AW70 given to me, and all was great until that trans died after 6 months or so.

I then obtain the AW71 (no torque converter came with it) and think "hey, I'll use the original torque converter that used to be in it, as I know it was all good and must be better than the converter currently in the car," I didn't even THINK to check the spline inside the converter, I forgot all about that bit. Fast forward 3 hours the replacement AW71 and original torque converter is in the car, filled her up, no drive at all.

This didn't occur to me until I had a moment of clarity, ice cold beer in hand, covered with trans oil after fishing around under the car for another 4 hours.

This is only a theory, but it makes sense. If the spline is stripped on the input shaft on the AW70 with the cracked oil pump, it'd be the same on that torque converter that's now in the car. It spins freely, but won't pump oil into the converter.

TLDR; it's possible that the torque converter I decided to use instead of the one with trans I just pulled has stripped splines after incorrect installation that I had forgotten about.

If I remember right, there are 3 balls and the one that's lowest and most to the right has an arrow in the wrong place.

If it's just the gear selection, try the other 2 forward gears

Out of curiousity, what fluids are you using? Any sign of coolant leaking into the transmission fluid?

Didn't check the balls, I hope that's not it! Hadn't heard they can be in the wrong spot, definitely weren't removed.

No drive in P, R, D, 2 or 1.

I'm using DEX 3 and haven't had any issues in the past.

Removed torque converter and replaced it with another one from an AW70. Filled it up and took about 5 liters, checked I have pressure in the cooler lines, still wont engage D, R, 2 or 1.

Dipstick showed it as being at the correct level while running, so either I just gotta squeeze in more oil still, or AW70 torque converter doesn't work with an AW71?

Figured out the issue with the 240, this is the theory anyway, and it makes the most sense.

The torque converter was bad from the start. That's why, when the old trans "died", it was shuddering at times, and slipping. Filled up the trans fluid and still no drive.

Replaced the trans, put the old torque converter in, filled up the oil, still no drive. The transmission wasn't ****ed, the torque converter was.

This also explains why the torque converter is pumping oil but delivers no drive!

Figured out the issue with the 240, this is the theory anyway, and it makes the most sense.

The torque converter was bad from the start. That's why, when the old trans "died", it was shuddering at times, and slipping. Filled up the trans fluid and still no drive.

Replaced the trans, put the old torque converter in, filled up the oil, still no drive. The transmission wasn't ****ed, the torque converter was.

This also explains why the torque converter is pumping oil but delivers no drive!

I remember there being a pair of notches/ears on torque converters and that they aren't always compatible between transmissions. If the TC you installed had a mmm shaft kind of with female ears, it might not engage the matching ears inside the transmission. Maybe it doesn't reach or maybe it doesn't have notches the right size. Did you compare the two TCs?

Back