• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cosbysweater's Lifted Om606 Wagon Build

thanks for all the compliments guys! once my trans controller comes in i will yank the b23 and aw out and start messing with the mounts. im going to use as much of the old 300td as i can, going to see about using the ac condenser and the stock intercooler. amazingly the intercooler is about the same width and height as the airdam cutouts so depending on where the piping ends up im going to try and keep it there. amazingly enough from the front of the mechanical fan to the end of the guibo is 1 inch shorter then the same measurements on the redblock. that is one of the main reasons i decided on using a rear sump pan. i have no doubt in my mind that you could make the front sump work but with the rear sump setup the oil pump is much less of a issue if you were to smash the pan.

also another fun fact when doing the calculations to find out what my "actual" ratio will be, with the 3.73 and the 27 inch tall tires it brings it to a 3.44:1 the stock e300td has a 3.46:1 so it will be interesting to see how close the rpms will be and if it will get decent fuel economy

Last edited:
Went to pick and pull this weekend and grabbed a n/a om606. Mostly grabbed it to use as a mockup and parts. It was seized solid but not too worried about it! Snagged the bell housing and converter as well

6bP0nam.jpg

Awesome work as always dude, super keen to hear how the 606 performs in a lifted 240. I'm always keeping an eye out for one but they are super slim pickings up here, most people are aware what they are now!

Awesome work as always dude, super keen to hear how the 606 performs in a lifted 240. I'm always keeping an eye out for one but they are super slim pickings up here, most people are aware what they are now!

Thanks man! Your builds are always exciting to follow as well! I'm definitely excited to see how it turns out. But in all honestly if I didn't get these engines for dirt cheap I wouldn't have done it. The 606s are way overpriced in my opinion for what you get. I was trying to buy a salvaged e320cdi but the guy sold it out from under me. The om648 is a much better option after looking into it more but I will work with what I have.

The seized motor ended up having water in 3 cylinders. I managed to get the pistons free and clean it up a bit and punch them out with minimal damage. The bores actually cleaned up pretty decently. I'm going to check the head and make sure it's straight and throw this one together as a backup. Having the om606 na and turbo rods and pistons side by side really shows why the n/a ones are not sought after but for the power goals I have it will do fine as a backup!

Here's the simple throttle cable and tps cable setup I made. Just using a bunch of old ratchet shifter brackets. I got 2 generic throttle cables on Amazon and drilled and tapped the ends for the stock mercedes ball sockets. The tps gets the full swing like it should and the throttle cable is nice and smooth. I went this route because throttle cable brackets and tps adapters get pretty pricy

https://youtu.be/sMgPyhp49ds

heres some update pictures of what ive done.

this is the throttle cable and tps setup. the adapter is pretty pricy. the of gear trans controller can use the benz tps so i figured it was the easiest route to go. the brackets are pretty crude but its easy to work on. they are made from shifter brackets. i have bought so many ratchet shifters so i had a bunch laying around.

de6vEON.jpg

fngV8Qo.jpg

WpHg17l.jpg

evfSZeC.jpg

made a prechamber puller out of a old 6.0 powerstroke dummy plug. the plug has the same size threads as the injectors

nlpbebw.jpg

R2vGb98.jpg

here is the turd motor that i tore apart. i freed up the stuck rings and cleaned everything

2aam3tZ.jpg

4eoj0gE.jpg

Eljtg9d.jpg

447BuAR.jpg

had to pull the crank out with the converter attached. it was extremely heavy to say the least!

yZ6lcer.jpg

here is the visual aid for people deciding if they are going to use a n/a or turbo bottom end. the pics speak for themselves

ZdUOqsZ.jpg

also ended up getting another mechanical pump for you guessed it 18 bucks!

q1RqCrd.jpg

wWxbtg8.jpg

ynFmGA5.jpg

got the engine and trans on a pallet ready to go. i got everything i need for the fuel system. im going to try the stock 240 radiator for now i spent the last day doing a bolt check on my suspension and flushing out the cooling system. my OFgear trans controller finally showed up and i ordered some paddle shifters from mercedes just incase. the trans is tiptronic sot it just has mechanical prnd. the controller is wired for a stock benz shifter which is pretty nice but id like to keep the stock 240 shifter intact. this weekend im going to pull the engine and trans, hopefully ill be able to get all the mounts and the driveshaft done. and next weekend finish it up and get it driving.

Om606 is in. Need to finish the mounts. Holy **** this thing is massive once you get it in the engine bay. Had to convert back to a front sump and hack the rad support out of the car. It was a bit of a cluster **** today

so ripped the old b23 out and aw71. the removal went very well as it does most of the time. i cleaned the engine bay before hand. Also this thing always was a bit of a turd. it was probably the second slowest n/a volvo ive ever owned. i figured out why when the engine was removed...

fwGRq1T.jpg

cqmR3JW.jpg

IcVTRKH.jpg

y9EbAas.jpg

SpreqQ1.jpg

Catalyst was completely melted

nsUKDnS.jpg

kChxtrH.jpg

Any way like i said in the above post. the rear sump was way to long. no matter how many times you measure and prepare it always seems like its going to put up a fight! ive done enough swaps to know that its never as easy as just dropping a engine in. either way its in at this point. had to convert it back to a front sump pan and hack about 2.5 inches out of the sump to get it to where it wants to sit and also not hit the oil pump. doing some research i found that the 603 pump is actually shorter so if you plan to do this swap, id suggest getting the 603 oil pump and you can gain another inch of clearance. Also. the zf rack is bigger in some spots so the can\trw rack would probably be better. i like the zfs because they seem to hold up a bit better but this will work for me. the rad support pretty much has to go bye bye if you want a good cooling fan on it. funny enough the 606 with the auto trans measured out 1 inch shorter then the b23 (measuring from the output shaft to the front of the cooling fan.) however because of where the engine wants to sit that really doesnt matter. there is plenty of room for the a/c. the stock benz ps lines bolt to the rack. the stock alternator is energized the same way as the volvo alternator, and bonus is you use the m47 240 drive shaft its the exact length you want for modification. the stock shifter linkage bolts right on. there are some other things im missing but will update my findings when i remember them.

zdbzXLw.jpg

rRdzw2v.jpg

lSciAig.jpg

eswHfDA.jpg

JXYw9nT.jpg

n2dyBQW.jpg

SnfbLVJ.jpg

gotta love the old boomers tig welding in crocs

nzmhept.jpg

Less of that core support came out then I expected. Motor looks good sitting in there, off to grab an Om603 oil pump before I get to cutting the pan

Unless I missed something I don't remember mention of why your running an NA intake manifold?

Welp got the engine bay pretty much done. The engine and trans are fully mounted. Fuel system is done. The radiator, fan, condenser, and intercooler are all one unit. I ditched all the Volvo crap and put everything from the e300 in. All the factory trans cooler lines, inter cooler pipes and cooling hoses fit. Used a factory clutch fan as well. Had to cut the rad support out of the car but it had to be done!

Here it is!
eLtIZiq.jpg

Converted to a positive pressure wg actuator. The factory uses vacuum.
9KxVYN8.jpg

I'll edit this post a little for some more info but yea. Everything fits as one unit and the horns and everything fit.
wgJJK84.jpg

Fc6WUUC.jpg

wzncn2g.jpg

tB5Fc5w.jpg

esagbJb.jpg

knKNzJd.jpg

KmsTiDY.jpg

Got some more stuff finished today. Got most of the stuff buttoned up on the driver side of the engine. Almost ready to throw the intake on permanently. All the factory lines ended up working except for one transmission line that got bent when I yanked the engine from the mercedes. Everything is in place and looks factory! I'm getting very excited. Next will be ripping the dash out and do the climate control stuff behind the dash.

39A4P2H.jpg

6MUK2Gd.jpg

Cc7f1TC.jpg

xaCzP73.jpg

pNXUXBN.jpg

8Rz8W3I.jpg

bViHmJD.jpg

LqLRODt.jpg

nLknbbr.jpg

Apparently it wasn't as heavy as I thought it was going to be even after bouncing it a little. We will see how it settles in since all the suspension is brand new

8hnPlrT.jpg

Got it running and drove it a little. I've been thrashing on it for the past few days. All I can say at this point is use the mercedes mounts. Lol

Got some pictures to upload, got the driveshaft done for it, we will see if it vibrates.

its the stock 300td driveshaft and yoke, turned down a centering shim and shoved a late model m47 driveshaft in it and welded it up. done this a few times before and never had any issues so we will see if it works again!

TUw7gHZ.jpg

there was a ton of rust in the battery tray area so my dad cut out the rust and put some new sheet metal in and we painted it. made a super simple battery tray and mounted it at a angle so a standard group 34 battery would fit in it. it cranks over nice and strong with the 750cca battery,

qCJl6Hg.jpg

since this car is going to be using a stock turbo we did a 2.5 over axle exhaust with 2 magnaflow mufflers. the ground clearance is great with the 2.5 and i should support exactly what i want.

3ttbHV1.jpg

BNM3mpt.jpg

FKEz1Pe.jpg

i pulled the sending unit out of the tank and put a 6.0 powerstroke fuel pickup on it which acts like a little sump and compresses against the bottom of the tank. i also installed a fuel water separator at the top of the panhard bar mount between the tank and the body to keep it protected. im using 5/16 fuel line for the fuel system. i installed a check valve as well to prevent any drain back incase the check valve in the pump decides to leak

ou6CqDI.jpg

now the oil cooler was a bit of a chore to do. because i needed to get the car done in a resonable time i mounted it to the back of the crossmember. its not ideal however im going to work on a shield/duct for it. it was super cheap and i bought a spare to keep in my break down kit just incase.

7kC22YQ.jpg

i also took the time to convert the car to the late model ac system. looking forward to seeing how it works. i installed a newer blower motor and resistor in it so i dont have to mess with it for a while hopefully

mXLebdD.jpg

someone did the down and dirty blower install in car on the old box, i present to you THE GLORY HOLE

srN2d3Z.jpg

new box and fire wall panel in

txB9edU.jpg

i took my time to do all the wiring on the car while the dash was out to make for a tidy install. i installed my trans controller on the cluster. i think its in a good spot. ill see how i like it

SJpkxRp.jpg

the good thing about trans is that the stock shifter works with the unit, however you cannot pull these trans missions past drive into lower gears, thats all electronically controlled. so im going to figure out a stealthy way to do it.

here are the updated engine bay pictures with it pretty much complete other then some ac lines and the intake pipe, im using a volvo 240 diesel airbox. it turned out very well for such a quick project

2QILqmZ.jpg

z2ZhSzR.jpg

U1Arm4t.jpg

after fitting a little more stuff to it and filling it with fluids it dropped down a little in the front and has a pretty good stance i think

40tsala.jpg

Back