• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Amazon special +t

tog244

I want to +t my b230f 240 and have access to 2 turbo wagons to use for inexpensive parts. however, both cars have a solid 170k miles and I stumbled upon this on amazon, Ill let it speak for itself. I have heard good and bad things about inexpensive turbos, the benefit to this is the manual boost controller and oil lines, not to mention new (but unknown quality) parts. What are some thoughts on this instead of a 170k used turbo and turbo parts? I figure they're both somewhat of a dice roll (high risk, low reward. just the way I like it)

*with either option, I would have to still get things such as intercooler and piping, ecu, injectors, fuel pumps, etc. from the parts cars or online if they aren't in good condition

https://www.amazon.com/Manifold-Sta...ive&sprefix=volvo+240+,automotive,218&sr=1-48

I have that boost controller, it fell apart the first day I used it so I made my own. The header appears to be the same eBay special that needs the flange flipped. I would say pass on it and buy some factory used turbo parts on here that will actually work and if you want a manual boost controller you can build one with parts from Home Depot for $25.

I assumed it was too good to be true, which side of the headers has to be flipped, the turbo side or the cylinder side? is it still worth it just for the turbo or would the 170k mile used turbo be better?

Don't buy that cheap Amazon / Ebay stuff.

Get all the factory stuff (manifold, turbo, oil and water lines, intercooler, ECU + EZK, etc.) from a turbo car and be done with it.
If you need something else, post an ad here in wanted.
Don't worry about the mileage on the stuff unless the turbo is shot and has excessive shaft play.
If so, you will be able to get a good quality used factory Mitsu turbo on here for a decent price.

Use a simple ball and spring type boost controller, you can even make it yourself within tb budget of $14.99.
DIY guide here: http://www.geocities.ws/chmwatson/FAQs/mbc.html

Don't buy that cheap Amazon / Ebay stuff.

Get all the factory stuff (manifold, turbo, oil and water lines, intercooler, ECU + EZK, etc.) from a turbo car and be done with it.
If you need something else, post an ad here in wanted.
Don't worry about the mileage on the stuff unless the turbo is shot and has excessive shaft play.
If so, you will be able to get a good quality used factory Mitsu turbo on here for a decent price.

Use a simple ball and spring type boost controller, you can even make it yourself within tb budget of $14.99.
DIY guide here: http://www.geocities.ws/chmwatson/FAQs/mbc.html

thats what i was looking to hear, thanks. is there anything specific from a turbo car that i would want to stay away from in favor of buying it new? obviously, if things have visible damage but if everything looks alright should i just use it or would it be better to buy some stuff new?

thats what i was looking to hear, thanks. is there anything specific from a turbo car that i would want to stay away from in favor of buying it new? obviously, if things have visible damage but if everything looks alright should i just use it or would it be better to buy some stuff new?

I wouldn't hesitate to use the stuff if it's in good condition and visually alright.

Just make sure to use the important monitoring tools to check if the engine is healthy and working properly when you've done the work, specifically an AFR and a boost gauge.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the stuff if it's in good condition and visually alright.

Just make sure to use the important monitoring tools to check if the engine is healthy and working properly when you've done the work, specifically an AFR and a boost gauge.

awesome, thanks

I wish i could use the oem boost gauge because its so cool but i feel like orange and yellow isn't a great indicator of how much boost im making. I havent looked into hooking up an afr gauge at all, is it a pain?

Last edited:
Back