• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 140 Differential Upgrade

CRatcliff

Hey All! My differential has been slipping a bit lately - seems to be getting a bit worn - and I'm curious if there are any upgrade options for it!

Thanks! Happy Holidays!

Diff's don't slip, either work or not, they do get play in them, Are you sure it's not the transmission or clutch slipping?

Hey All! My differential has been slipping a bit lately - seems to be getting a bit worn - and I'm curious if there are any upgrade options for it!

Thanks! Happy Holidays!

Huh?

If your clutch packs in the Dana 27 Power-lock LSDs are slipping I can show you how to shim them so there's a higher break-away torque, but where'd you get a DANA 27 LSD?

If you think there's some "slip" the test on a car is the same as on a bike:

Ease the vehicle gently against a wall.
Fire it up and select 4th (or 5th or 6th) gear
Rev it to 4000
Dump clutch

If there's no slip it will stall CLUNK! like that.:oogle:

If there slip it won't:oops:

Terms pojke terms, gotta get your terms and descriptions right.:oops:

Ahhhh ok thanks all! I'm thinking of the play in the diff, but also there's sometimes a clunk when I'm starting with high revs (on a hill or something). I assumed it was the diff, but possibly the transmission? Definitely some play in the diff as well though.

Huh?

If your clutch packs in the Dana 27 Power-lock LSDs are slipping I can show you how to shim them so there's a higher break-away torque, but where'd you get a DANA 27 LSD?

What 140 has a Danna 27? Both of mine ('68 and '70) had Dana 30s, and I now have a Truetrac in there that's been working great.

Last edited:

Thanks! Happy Holidays!

:nod:

1970 Volvo 164

3f1ea60a-f070-439b-868c-44c319f8f80e.JPG

Back