• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Weird alignment issue/loud metallic clunk up front

Mstrshkbrnnn

So to start off, I recently did a refresh of the front suspension on my 88 245. First, I installed ipd poly end link bushings. I’m doing so, I noticed the sway bar sat better on the driver side, than the passenger. After investigating for a while I realized the passenger control arm had the slightest upward facing bow in it. Ordered a new control arm, along w poly bushings and new strut mounts.

In replacing all those parts, I ended up having to purchase a new driver side control arm as the old bushing was seized in it. I put it in the shop press and got the pressure up to 4000 psi and it didn’t budge. I heated it with a torch for a long time and it didn’t budge. I used an air hammer on it for over 30 minutes and it didn’t budge. I replace both control arms, and replace their bushings as well in the process. I also replaced both strut mounts as both of mine were completely shot and almost completely torn through, as well as the ball joints. I made sure to tighten everything to spec, and greased up everything needing to be greased.

The day I finished installing everything, I didn’t have time to align it so I just drove it home. Alignment wasn’t as bad as I expected when it came to tracking the car down the road, but I noticed a lot more noise coming from the front end than usual. Not the typical amount of extra noise associated w poly bushings, but a hard metallic clunk coming from the passenger side. I got paranoid and assumed I left something lose but that wasn’t the case. Did some reading and decided to not set my mind on any one factor until I aligned it so that I could rule alignment out. Found somewhere here that it could possibly have been my subframe bolts coming lose?

Today, after work, I aligned the car, and obviously, everything was super out of spec. Camber, caster, and toe were all ****ed. On the passenger side, I had to max out my camber setting to get it in the green, while driver side isn’t maxed out. Also, my caster was wayyyyyyy off, and different from passenger to driver side. One more positive, and one more negative. Driver side wheel sits closer to the front of the car while passenger wheel sits closer to the rear of the car. Alignment machine said there is not caster adjustment on 240 series cars so I thought “maybe my subframe is loose and it’s shifter”. Attempted to tighten the bolts and they hardly turned, and I used quite a bit of strength to try and turn them. Gave them some ugga duggas to be safe.

Could the clunk and caster issues be the same? Why is my caster so off? Should I attempt to reposition the subframe until my caster reads in spec?

Let it be known, I’ve owned the car only a few months, and in the time I’ve owned it, the alignment has always been off. It used to pull to the right a bit hard when the steering wheel was straight, but now just barely pulls to the left as I drive. This old car **** is very rewarding but also very very very very very very very very very frustrating.

2 right side lower ball joints for a 240 with power steering I suspect.....
Klonk is something loose, the shock inside the strut, the brake calliper, the lower ball joint... and and and.
At first check the lower ball joints. You will find informations at the www how they should be.
Different adjustment on camber to get the same number is typical.
Good luck, Kay

2 right side lower ball joints for a 240 with power steering I suspect.....
Klonk is something loose, the shock inside the strut, the brake calliper, the lower ball joint... and and and.
At first check the lower ball joints. You will find informations at the www how they should be.
Different adjustment on camber to get the same number is typical.
Good luck, Kay

The ball joint definitely isnt loose, as i torqued the control arm side bolts to 85 ft-lbs, and the knuckle side bolts to 18, and the single nut to 40. Will check my strut today after work. What i dont understand is why the clunk is so prominent only now??

The ball joint definitely isnt loose, as i torqued the control arm side bolts to 85 ft-lbs, and the knuckle side bolts to 18, and the single nut to 40. Will check my strut today after work. What i dont understand is why the clunk is so prominent only now??

I think he was suggesting you got the wrong ball joints installed. They're side specific.

That would certainly mess up the caster big time.

That makes sense...... I tightened my endlinks some more and the clunking went away. The only noise left is road noise, and the sound of my failing shocks. I did do both ball joints at once, and made sure I put the right side ball joint on the right side control arm, but it?s definitely possible I ****ed something up. Do you guys think I should switch them and throw it on the alignment rack again to see if there?s any difference? If it helps, the straight side of each ball joint is facing the front of the vehicle.

OTOH, there's at least a few threads with photos showing the correct orientation and incorrect orientation of the balljoints. You could probably get near instant gratification by searching and studying those.

OTOH, there's at least a few threads with photos showing the correct orientation and incorrect orientation of the balljoints. You could probably get near instant gratification by searching and studying those.

Pictures I find are telling me my orientation is correct, but the Volvo parts diagram shows otherwise??

Back