• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1982 240 AC condenser

Murploid1

Hello,

Can anyone advise whether or not the newer condenser (I think it is 1991 and upward) will fit on a 1982 car? I thought the difference was just size and it being for R134? Is this the case or are there bigger differences?

The older system like in your car uses an expansion valve based system. The 91 uses an orifice valve based system. Hoses and fittings are in different locations. With some modifications you could make it fit. My suggestion would be that if you are going to adapt a newer condenser. Use the design that is in the 93 only R134 system. That is a more efficient design and if you are going to do the work to adapt it make it the best one.

A pusher fan if you are not using one helps as well. That is stock on a 91-93 design, too.

Last edited:
I have a pusher fan in place, issue here is that my condenser is leaking.

Any ideas where I can purchase a condenser for an early car? I don't really want a second hand unit, need it to be reliable.

Many folks here have used four seasons a/c parts with success. There are a few vendors who sell their stuff. Rock auto online and local stores are good to check for their parts.

If you are going to use R134 in that system. I would suggest upgrading to the newer condenser or use a more efficient replacement refrigerant like the R152. I think that's the number. It's the stuff used in duster for computers and electronics. People have bought cases of the stuff at office supply stores and used it in their cars. It's legal.

Back