• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vintage TME muffler or resonator on B20

Have a TME Sweden muffler or resonator. It is about 17" long and cylindrical, about 6" in diameter. Feeds into about 3" exhaust tube for about 6" and then IPD exhaust tip or resonator at end which is about 9" long and 4" in diameter.

Any ideas on how this will sound, nice or not, on an unmodified B20? Do not see any model numbers. Would like to add photos, but have not found where to. Any insights much appreciated!! :cool:

Last edited:
EDIT: Better link; https://youtu.be/6Bpyp6oArHg?t=88

Probably would sound something like this, but a tad louder and throatier. Stock B20s just sound very tractor-like by nature.

Thank you. I thought it might be a commonly used set up with the Swedish make TME muffler and IPD tip or resonator. Muffler shop guy when asked said it would sound like a 'fart can', so I just want to avoid it sounding the way many small 4 banger Japanese cars can sound. I think it will be fine.

Any opinion on the heavy aluminum cast IPD valve cover? Recently acquired an original with the Volvo emblem cast. Read in IPD catalogue it reduced the tappet sound and dissipated heat better.

Any opinion on the heavy aluminum cast IPD valve cover?

I always thought that the finned covers were meant to give clearance to aftermarket rockers, but it seems a bit expensive to reduce tappet noise. As for cooling properties, I'm not sure how much of an improvement that would be, since the valve cover isn't always totally filled with oil. Consider that an OEM zinc one is like $40.

Looks nice, though.

I don't believe TME ever offered an exhaust system for the Amazon so if it is a genuine TME product its a retrofit from some other car. Definitely not a 'commonly used product' on an Amazon. TME / IPD offered a SS sport exhaust system for the 740 turbo with only a back muffler with the tail pipe tip mounted directly to the muffler; but, it was an oval, not round muffler.

IPD did (does?) offer a sport exhaust system for the twin down pipe Amazon made by Simons. A whole bunch of other vendors sell the same system. I believe it does have a round rear muffler; but, the tailpipe is attached directly to the back of the rear muffler. It also has the really long, straight, muffler / pipe thing up front.

If your TME muffler is a straight through absorption type muffler and the internal pipe is 3" in diameter and its the only muffler in the system, I predict that the system is going to be really loud. Your muffler shop go is probably fairly accurate in his assessment. Also, a 4" diameter exhaust tip on an Amazon looks silly unless you are attempting to channel a ricer boy look.

I have an IPD cast aluminum valve cover on my B20E. Any reduction in valve noise was in the imagination of the copy writer who prepared the IPD catalogue. The primary benefit of the cast aluminum cover, aside from dress up value and providing rocker clearance if you have a high lift cam is that it is rigid and resists deformation around the mounting holes which greatly improves gasket sealing reducing the inevitable oil leaks. My valve cover was black with polished ribs on top. If your valve cover is the same, the best thing you can do is clean it and take it to a powder coating shop and have it powder coated with a high gloss finish in whatever color you want (except black). Mine is silver. The black finish on the IPD cover accumulates dust and oil like crazy and looks like crap in a week or two. If you want to maintain the dress up factor, get it coated in a glossy finish that doesn't trap dirt and is easy to wipe off.

Last edited:
Thanks much 142 guy. The IPD exhaust tip or end is about 9" long and 4" in diameter. I think you may be right about a 740 setup. Bought about a decade back and do not recall specifics but was planning to install on my 122.

I bought this TME muffler and IPD tip end or whatever, used, in decent functional appearing shape. When looking down each end it looks like some carboned baffle with about 2.5" diameter internal. Pipe going in is about 2.5". So on little observation, limited baffle to cut noise.

Current muffler is about 14" long tube though tapering angled at each end for 2" or so, sounds sort of throaty, rumbling which I like, when idling, but now has rusted internally and sounds like a rattle can when idling, especially at startup when engine cold.

Looking for a medium low throaty rumble like is on it... but has worn out

Yes, that makes sense on valve cover. Limited leaking. Currently have chrome steel cover I think which is lower so less clearance for other cam. Did read about this. Have done nothing to this B20 transplant into my 64 122 except for a valve adjustment to try to eliminate pinging with lower revs after trying adding Lucas octane and alt lead additive. Just do not punch it or pay attention until at above 3000 rpm. That's probably why the tach was on top of dash in clear view. Thanks, I will reread your post several times.

Last edited:
EDIT: Better link; https://youtu.be/6Bpyp6oArHg?t=88

Probably would sound something like this, but a tad louder and throatier. Stock B20s just sound very tractor-like by nature.

much thanks and Cheers.. That exhaust sounds pretty good. has a rumble to it. my b20 does not sound quite so tracktor like in engine bay; do the duel SU carbs change this very much when idling?

Last edited:
Wellll, had a good muffler shop install and they tucked it up nice and neat. Turns out it really is not too loud. Wish it had a little more throaty tone or gurgle as the sound is almost washed out, but it is fine for now. Definitely better than the way the old glass pack rattled when first starting or at low idle. Thanks all for advice and insights! :-D

I've run a TME single rear muffler on my 9 series for almost 8 years. The sound was really sweet to my ears (behind an 8V redblock) when I still ran the 9 factory DP and factory CAT. In this last renovation, I now have a full 3" DP behind my 19T, and then thru an aftermarket CAT (high flow, not at all like the original factory CAT). With those last changes the exhaust resonated and nearly drove me crazy at highway speeds. I ended up cutting the front TME pipe apart and adding a 3" resonator. Now there is JOY again in my ear and I can hear the TME again singing sweetly.

Most likely your muffler came from the 7/9 TME "cat back" kit which was sold around 10 years ago.

Enjoy the TME..... I can't compare a B20 to a B230Turbo....... but the exhaust pulse train is still from a 4 banger.

Back