home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 07-15-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
Freq
Board Member

Default Volvos from HELL logo

My dad and I have shirts that this design came from, but they're no longer being sold. He wanted it as a sticker to put on the grill of his green GT so we scanned a shirt and I spend a couple hours tracing the design. The only thing I changed was the colour and the part that says "Volvos". They obviously used a scan for "Volvo" and tacked a "s" from another font on, so I fixed that and moved it down so it was a wee more stylish. I have a PSD that's all vector if anyone wants one for printing, wallpaper, whatever. The sample is scaled down to 50%.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:00 AM   #2
wisturbo
ⒼⒺⓉ ⓇⒶⒹ

Gimmie full scale with "Volvo"
Old 07-16-2008, 12:07 AM   #3
Freq
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisturbo View Post
Gimmie full scale with "Volvo"
Thy will be done on Tbricks as it is on Earth.

http://freq.auriplane.net/files/pict...-from-hell.png
Freq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
wisturbo
ⒼⒺⓉ ⓇⒶⒹ

Wait... Amen! Thank you!
wisturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
Matt
ICY HOT STUNTA

Epic justice! Will be making into a sticker for sure.

SHOtime - '90 744 Turbo
The LowCar - '93 945 Turbo
Ghetto Superstar/SkidCar - '88 740
Brown - '85 740 Turbo
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:38 AM   #6
Volvo244GLE
Board Member

sweet

244GLE Project - Rebuilt B23, ported 405, 37.5 exh. valves, BMW oil squirter's, MS2e, H cam, King Springs, Bilstein HD's, upper+lower chassis braces, 26mm Falcon front sway bar, SAAS bucket seats, hi flow rear muffler, almost every factory option.

242GT Project - who likes rust?
Volvo244GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:20 AM   #7
Tamnakz
Board Member

They ARE still for sale, by the guy that created it, and I believe has it copyrighted. . .

Was your originally red on a black shirt?

There's a guy that races a 122, used to have a team. I asked for permission to use it on a shirt for meet, and he wanted to charge me, showed me the paperwork as well. . .
'76 244 *sold*
'86 244 *crushed*
'87 745ti N/A pistons M46 *parked*
'88 745 -work status-
'89 744 *sold*
'91 944 16v -dd-
'03 V70 -travel bi***-
Tamnakz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:40 AM   #8
Tamnakz
Board Member

Just double checked.

Still produced and sold.

Swedish Engineering in Ann Arbor, MI holds the license (so long as it has not lapsed)

If people are interested, they're a good price and I can probably get a discount on a BG, as I personally know the guy that runs the ordering. . .
Old 07-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
Freq
Board Member

My dad's old shirt was red on black, but he recently got 6 in white on black, saying they only had a handful left and he'd have to buy a large amount or something? It's been a while so I don't really remember. So I guess... don't sell this or use it in MI?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #10
Tamnakz
Board Member

Well, I tried getting permission to use it for a VCOA event.

I'll be in touch with the guy that still prints them and check with him in the next day or two.

They still pring the black T-shirts with red lettering, and Black hoodies with red lettering.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
pooprah

was that the theme and color sceme behind the 242gt?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
Chris_R
Kickin' rocks in sandals

Someone just redo it some... Needs more viking helmet on the skull anyway.

And I'm not a big fan of the font in 'from hell' anyway... Looks like something the guy ripped off from an old movie anyway.

So the VOLVO is from the car company, 'from hell' is from some movie or something... the flag looks pretty generic as a tattered pirate flag...

Can you copyright something that is clearly the property of 2 or 3 other people?

BTW, googling 'from hell' gets you LOTS of weird results.

is one of the few that are SFW.
1995 964 (Silver)
1992 944Ti (White)
1996 965 (Burgundy) - Scrap
1994 945 Ti (Black) - Sirius Black Scrap
1992 944 GL (Black) - Killed by drunk driver
1988 745Ti (Silver) - Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBrickMan View Post
Long story short I found out she's a squirter.
Chris_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:16 AM   #13
Freq
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooprah View Post
was that the theme and color sceme behind the 242gt?
The paint on the GT was based on the Sublime Metallic paint job on the new Daytona RT Charger. I just matched the colors of the logo to that of the car.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #14
Metrobilly
Board Member

You have the history of "Volvo's From Hell" all wrong. A group of SCCA Improved Touring racers banded together with Bob Griffith to develop trick racing parts for ITB 142 race cars back in the 1980's. These parts were marketed as "Volvo's From Hell Go Fast Parts". There was a rather tasteful T shirt with a drawing of the devil driving a 142 race car and the Volvo's From Hell/ skull and bones motto. Unfortunately Volvo of north America had little sense of humor and issued a court order to discontinue the use of the motto and sale of the shirts.

The original Volvo's From Hell 142 Race cars were some of the most highly developed and successful Improved Touring cars in the early days of the class. A few of the original race cars are still around and many of the newer ones carry on the proud tradition and display reproduction decals. I believe Rotem Gill and his ITB buddies made some stickers out in Michigan and some were floating around Summit Point raceway a couple years ago. I doubt there is any "copyright" on them as they are still quit unwelcome by cooperate Volvo.
Metrobilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #15
500dollar744ti
still rides with MrDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrobilly View Post
You have the history of "Volvo's From Hell" all wrong. A group of SCCA Improved Touring racers banded together with Bob Griffith to develop trick racing parts for ITB 142 race cars back in the 1980's. These parts were marketed as "Volvo's From Hell Go Fast Parts". There was a rather tasteful T shirt with a drawing of the devil driving a 142 race car and the Volvo's From Hell/ skull and bones motto. Unfortunately Volvo of north America had little sense of humor and issued a court order to discontinue the use of the motto and sale of the shirts.

The original Volvo's From Hell 142 Race cars were some of the most highly developed and successful Improved Touring cars in the early days of the class. A few of the original race cars are still around and many of the newer ones carry on the proud tradition and display reproduction decals. I believe Rotem Gill and his ITB buddies made some stickers out in Michigan and some were floating around Summit Point raceway a couple years ago. I doubt there is any "copyright" on them as they are still quit unwelcome by cooperate Volvo.
that is the most interesting thing i have read on this site in weeks, thanks.

1989 Volvo 744T- 16v turbo, '94 FD-block, RSI pistons/rods, GT35R, Tial 38mm, RFL, MSnS-E, DSM spark, 100lb Delphis, 4.6 springs, Bondo header, Heebspeed intake, Q45 90mm TB, Bosch 044 FP, 12x24x3 ebayIC, w/c t5, Clutchnet 4puck/PP, 4.10 G80, IPD sways, 960 brakes.
1998 Volvo S70 T5m- Stock, 229k
1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ- Stock, 154k
1983 Ford F150- '89 5.0 H.O, C6/4x4, F+R LSD 4.10, 7" lift, 35s.
1990 Cobia San Marino 225 ECS- MCM 350 Mag, GM Bowtie Intake, HR-Titan 19p.
500dollar744ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:18 PM   #16
BoxDriver2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrobilly View Post

I've met Rotem and a host of others a long time ago at a business here. I spotted one of these epic cars on a trailer down the street from me, he was going back to his house.

I am not sure what they are doing as of late, I've heard a few random bits over the last few years but nothing solid.

Nice guy. A friend of a friend has a set of wheels which he believes came from one of the VFH guys...randomly mentioned as I was looking them over in his garage.

I am not sure if Swedish Engineering still does an annual show...and last I heard Corky sold his 242GT, but I could be wrong. I only had them do service once or twice on stuff I did not have time for a numbr of years ago...I think I picked up a VFH shirt there or at a CVCOA event about 5 years ago.
BoxDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #17
Ursan
Bored Member

How about a "I went through Ragnarök & all I got was this T-Shirt" T-shirt.

Years ago we had a central NE meet & gave out a Ragnarök award to the worst looking car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedn_j View Post
So I’m a racist big deal who cares. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bready View Post
I admit I'm stupid...

1990 780t Kind of Modded 1994 945t Pegz, Tintz, Hidz.
"Rear Wheel Drive, the way God intended. If a car is being pulled from the front, doesn't that mean it's being towed?"

"Lister, you are a polyp on the anus of society." - A.J. Rimmer
Ursan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #18
Tamnakz
Board Member

Swedish Engineering cancelled their show last year.

But they didnt put out a bulletin' or anything, so the people that showed up just had an inpromptu autocross. . .
Old 07-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #19
Ursan
Bored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamnakz View Post
Swedish Engineering cancelled their show last year.

But they didnt put out a bulletin' or anything, so the people that showed up just had an inpromptu autocross. . .
That always works.
Ursan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:04 PM   #20
Mcloud

odysseyhouseonline.com/motorsports, has info on the Volvos From Hell. Also, ROLLING (the VCOA magazine), JUL-AUG 2020, page 24. Is Bob Griffith still alive? What happened to all the 'Volvos From Hell'?
Mcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:06 PM   #21
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

I used to crew for my brothers AH Sprite in the Volvo Historic Series. Some of the Volvos from Hell were running that series along with the ITB races. Long ago Bob Griffith faxed me a parts/price list. There was a lot of good stuff available.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:30 AM   #22
plambrinos

Default 142e volvo from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
I used to crew for my brothers AH Sprite in the Volvo Historic Series. Some of the Volvos from Hell were running that series along with the ITB races. Long ago Bob Griffith faxed me a parts/price list. There was a lot of good stuff available.
Where can I get this parts list, I have a volvo from hell car that was originally built by Wade Middleton and Richard L Holland back in 1986.
plambrinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:07 PM   #23
itb-volvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plambrinos View Post
Where can I get this parts list, I have a volvo from hell car that was originally built by Wade Middleton and Richard L Holland back in 1986.
I have an emailed parts list, Bob's recomended car setup reading and an old BHP brochure. Even have a car with alot of his parts on it that is available too. Bug me enough there's a possibility I could scan and post
itb-volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:40 PM   #24
S70T5fivespeed
Its always 7:4O somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by plambrinos View Post
Shout out to Pickering!

Post pics of your Hell car plz
05 V70T5M grey on beige
In the barn: 67 123GT
S70T5fivespeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #25
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Sorry I got that list from Bob around 1990. I have no idea where that stuff would be now. I'd bug itb-volvo and see what he can send you. Wish you well with the search.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote