• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16t upgrade: low end is meh, looking for opinions

Checked the bracket flex before install and it seemed pretty solid, I will check for leaks again - never hurts. Will check the wastegate for sure as well.
Even if the bracket doesn't flex boost will be slow if there isn't enough preload. Made that mistake myself when swapping to 19t. Got it to spool much faster with a bit of preload.

Even if the bracket doesn't flex boost will be slow if there isn't enough preload. Made that mistake myself when swapping to 19t. Got it to spool much faster with a bit of preload.

Thanks, seems like a bit of a consensus here and I am definitely going to be checking that. Timing is good so I am moving to the wastegate and leaks.

Got an update.

So I went to empty out my new catch can and the bloody thing had like a half litre of oil in it! WTF! I immediately suspect the vent cap since I have had issues with it, there is an internal baffle but that doesn’t seem to be enough. Seller was super helpful but it is either the cap or my car just doesn’t like it. I plumbed it off the separator box due to low funds so it *could* be clogged but after removing the cap I see zero signs of a clogged box so I am confident it was the cap.

So after removing the cap and plugging that fitting at the box there was an immediate improvement! So then I went around and checked and tightened everything yet again. I then pulled the vacc hose to the boost gauge and discovered a split under the dash. Basics, basics! Checked all hoses...but not under the dash, sheesh. Anyways, another improvement and then I reset the computer with everything way happier after that.

So acceleration improved and boost threshold lowered to around 2300 rpms. I was surprised how much the threshold lowered and the turbo lag has been reduced as well. Weather has been s$@t and too cold for working under the car so I will be adding more preload and an MBC as I am super curious to see if anything changes as a result.

I also had to deal with a coolant leak, it was right at the head and the block. Queue super sad face. I sighed and cleaned it all up so I could see where it was all coming from...then big smile as I traced it to the thermostat. Replaced and the tank shows that I am still losing coolant somewhere. Look under carpets, nope, change the cap? Bingo!

Last edited:
Another update:

Got the smoke machine hooked up and there were only 2 very tiny leaks. One pre turbo and one at the actuator. I will have to keep an eye on that one, going to have to dig out a spare and see if I can get rid of that leak, tiny though it was.

My local mechanic is the only one who will even think about touching my car. Some stuff I just can’t do mostly because I need a hoist or a certain tool, unfortunately I don’t live in an area where I can rent time on a hoist. He told me I am the only person who has ever asked him to hook up the smoke machine just because.

Dude also tells me that his guys are like deer in the headlights with my car and because they can’t hook up a computer to it they are unable to diagnose the car at all so he works on it instead. The fact that it is a hybrid system totally defeats them. But it is such a simple system - they can’t even troubleshoot? Nope. So he’s been having me come in from time to time to teach them about the car, it’s systems, and how to troubleshoot it. Holy crap!

Last edited:
See if it's still lazy. If it is you have a wastegate sealing issue. Also have you checked the timing belt?

I get what you are saying now, would more preload help there maybe? Belt is good, timing good. Hoping to add a bit of preload this weekend as suggested earlier and a MBC even if I don?t increase boost pressure as suggested by gsellster.

More preload really isn't needed on those actuators unless you are using the actuator to increase your boost pressure. I'm running 1.5 turns of preload on the actuator, holds just fine to 24psi, with an MBC to dial in the boost. Granted I'm using a Forge actuator now, but even on the stock Garrett T3 actuator I was sitting at a solid 18-19psi with an MBC on an 8psi actuator, with just the normal preload.

The Garrett actuators have a lot more spring pressure to hold the gate closed than the Mitsu actuators, so they don't require as much preload.

The Garrett actuators have a lot more spring pressure to hold the gate closed than the Mitsu actuators, so they don't require as much preload.

I had got the Garrett one because I thought it to be a better actuator so thanks for the info. I was going to try more preload just to see if it resulted in anything. I will definitely be adding an MBC. Might end up going to a lower psi actuator and MBC once summer hits. Removing the vented cap made a big difference.

Back