• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Redblock T5 adapter thickness

Broke4speed

Anyone out there able to measure the thickness of their T5-to-Redblock adapter? I just picked up a WC T5 from an SN95 car, and the input shaft is 5/8" longer (well more like 11/16"). I'm probably going to make my own adapter, but I don't know what the standard thickness is.

I did the same thing, just on accident. I bought what was listed as a 93 V8 T5, turns out it was a 94.

It was easy to replace the input shaft and bearing retainer.

ANd if you're set on making your own adapter, I went out and measured mine at 1/2 inch thick. It's a VPD adapter from about 2005.

ANd if you're set on making your own adapter, I went out and measured mine at 1/2 inch thick. It's a VPD adapter from about 2005.

Cool thanks! I know VPD used to modify the bellhousings too, does any get shaved off before the adapter goes on?

I'm kinda set on trying to make my own, but really only because it's the journey that's the fun part for me. If I fail, then I've spent a bit of money to learn more about something I didn't know about before :). I'm also very addicted to the 'build what you need out of what you have' mentality, like the old hotrodders did waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day. Obviously with modern limitations like safety in mind though.

I might, but I still want to make my own adapter, so the measurement is still useful :).

All the online sources (Bneshop.com, Deeworks.ca) state their adapters are out of stock or backorder, and TBH, if I'm going to wait weeks or months for something to arrive, then I would rather be busy trying to make my own. If I fail, then I'll just buy an in-stock adapter :).

I'm pretty sure that all they did to the bellhousing was to enlarge the center hole - so the adapter just bolts up to the front of the trans and doesn't touch the stock Ford input bearing retainer - which the throwout bearing goes on. Then some little square adapter doohickeys to adapt the Volvo clutch fork to a T5 throwout bearing.

Thanks for the info :). I was basically planning on doing the same thing, so this is good to know. I'll probably go price out the aluminum tomorrow, after work. I've got everything I need to build this whole thing on the ground, minus the clutch and PP, so that should keep me busy for the rest of the summer...and I can still drive my car :).

Thanks for the info :). I was basically planning on doing the same thing, so this is good to know. I'll probably go price out the aluminum tomorrow, after work. I've got everything I need to build this whole thing on the ground, minus the clutch and PP, so that should keep me busy for the rest of the summer...and I can still drive my car :).

Pretty sure my adapter plate is made out of steel.

I had thought about that, but I'd have to chop 5/8" off the end of the input shaft, which would have the splines bottoming out at the bearing. As mentioned above, it's cake to swap the shafts though, so cutting would be the last resort. I'm planning on making my own adapter anyway, so I can just make it slightly thicker to compensate.

Back