• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

8.8 swap - wheel advice?

Veeeerrrry interesting. So those wheels are straight onto the 8.8 axle? Then it's just a matter of getting the fit right on the front with some adapters. Those are more or less FWD offset, so spacers should work well up there.

The wheels bolted right on to the back of the 8.8 with zero issues. Later this week I'll get my calipers out and check to see if the hub is the right size. Eyeballing it, it was going to be close but it slid right up without any wiggling so either its perfect or a little large. I'll get hub rings if I need them.

I haven't had time to go to the shop and use the brakes and anvil to make some nice headlight brackets. Maybe this upcoming weekend. Looking for someone local to drill my rotors and hubs for 5x4.5 then I'll probably try to sweet talk discount tire into mounting a few tires to see how they fit in the front. My math tells me the 215s should fit perfectly if I get the perfect spacer in the front. Plan on using washers and then turning some solid bushings just to slowing drive around turning lock to lock. If it fits i'll order the proper spacers. I already have some 7mm spacers in a perfect world 7mm or 14mm will put there where I want to be and I can order or have some hub centric spacers made the right thickness.

Veeeerrrry interesting. So those wheels are straight onto the 8.8 axle? Then it's just a matter of getting the fit right on the front with some adapters. Those are more or less FWD offset, so spacers should work well up there.
They have similar offset to hydra wheels 30. No spacers used on the rear so I plan on getting the hubs/rotors redrilled, using long studs, and then getting spacers. Right now the car has two spare tires since the front and rear are different bolt patterns.

What would the specs needed be (offset, bolt pattern) for 15" wheels on a 240 with a ford 8.8 that has been shortened to run 2 passenger axles? Looking to still be able to roll the project around still once I get the rear mounted. Figure I can order a couple of cheap wheels from Summit, or if anyone knows if there is a specific wheel from a junkyard that would fit?

What would the specs needed be (offset, bolt pattern) for 15" wheels on a 240 with a ford 8.8 that has been shortened to run 2 passenger axles? Looking to still be able to roll the project around still once I get the rear mounted. Figure I can order a couple of cheap wheels from Summit, or if anyone knows if there is a specific wheel from a junkyard that would fit?

Explorer or mustang wheels, maybe crown Vic?

Why does no one put 5x108 axles in the 8.8? Seems like the easiest thing to do to match the front without using adapters.

Why does no one put 5x108 axles in the 8.8? Seems like the easiest thing to do to match the front without using adapters.

How much are new 31 spline 8.8 axles with the right length and 5x108 bolt pattern?

I guess if you want to be stuck with the limited options or you have to have the oem wheels for the ultra unique car guy points.

And the rotors. And if you ever need to replace a rotor, you need to redrill it as well.

With FWD offset 5X4.5 wheels, they bolt straight on to the back axle with all stock Ford components, and you already need adapters on the front to use FWD offset wheels, so use 4.25-->4.5 adapters there.

Then you're using stock unmodified wheels/hubs/rotors/axles all the way around.

Last edited:
Gotcha, thanks. I was thinking I didn't want any adapters, and the rear is wider so you can make the offset whatever you want, sort of. But I have a 9" rear and am adapting Z17 calipers on R rotors I guess I am going down a way different path.

Back