• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Brand new '81 262C Bertone Coupe . . .

After blowing leaves for the 12th time . . .

The leaf color was great this year but now they are about 80% on the ground . . . on the 400 foot driveway . . . on the roof and in the gutters.

Anyway, after the fuel distributor rebuild it starts instantly, idles correctly, backs out of the garage and got a bath for the first time in years. Haven't taken it out for a drive yet because I want to go through all the little check list stuff. Oil? Water? PS fluid? Transmission fluid? Brake fluid? Ignition timing.

But ain't she pretty . . . .

(edited)_Bertone_Cleaned_Up(3).jpg

Last edited:
Brings back old memories. I sold one just like yours to a friend when I was a tech at the dealer. He wanted it for a present for his wife. Three weeks later it was on the Buick used car lot. The wife had one of those hairdos that was all piled up. She could not fit in the car. I ended up with it years later.

It has been a while since I have checked in.

The feelings are mixed when I see your car in its deserved state but know it has cost you much more effort than you intended. Certainly, you are preserving a piece of history.

She looks glorious. Thanks for you work.

Tom

Nice work Tom! You have done well.

So in summary, the fuel distribution system (mechanical) was buggered..... and the car had the wrong ECU installed?
Any other root causes of your (most recent) misery?

Long, long list.

Just to summarize significant milestones in 9 years of hobby work sorta in order:

Ignition timing was initially found to be set for #6 cylinder. Strange numbering plan
Distributor was off by one tooth, used to set #6 timing
Fuel tank was full of rust, really full. Replaced tank
Lift pump, although claimed to be new was dead
Pressure pump, also claimed to be new was dead. Both killed by rusty tar in tank
Fuel distributor leaked from Elroy's efforts. Commercially rebuilt - twice
Heater core leak due to 19 years in a hay barn
pressure regulator rebuilt my me several times and then replaced
Fuel injectors didn't - replaced with new Bosch
Set engine on fire - minor electrical and fuel system damage
Heart valve replacement - delay of about a year
Torn rotator cuff - another year delay
Rebuild of bent wheels
Ignition switch failed - broken internally
Steering rack blew a seal when engine began running - Replaced.

Recently, during the last attack on the car:

System relay was questionable - replaced. OEM Bosch metal relays are hard to find.
ECU was not only wrong but not reliably functioning. 'Not reliably' much more difficult than failed.
After the third rework of the fuel distributor by Elroy and then twice by Jaytan, Inc my rebuild seems to work.

Also built into those 9 years was complete restoration of interior from carpet to glass seals and paint which was cut and buffed. AC restored to fully functioning.

Last edited:
That's quite a list! I've got to see this gem before I retire and relocate "a little further to the NE" from ATL.

I'll drop you a PM and figure out how to visit this spring.... might ride the Goldwing up.

BTW, how many miles have you put on this Bertone, since purchase? :-P

Well, gave the Miata to a grand daughter, sold the V8 245. Also the Jaguar XK8 convertible.

Bertone the only one left.

Two years ago when attempting to put it back on the road the steering rack blew a seal and dumped all the PS fluid on the floor. Replaced that.

Tried again to get it back on the road for an upcoming show the master cylinder blew. Parts due in tomorrow. Then all I have to do is spend a day bleeding the entire brake system. Just love pulling all the wheels. The duel feed Volvo brake system is so much fun to bleed.

There is such a thing as 'too much fun'.

Had an epiphany this evening. If I sell this little Bertone after the November Hilton Head Concours d'Elegance show I will only have a 3 year old Explorer for entertainment.

I may have to drag one of my coupes to your place to get the full Tom treatment. Don't want you get bored.:)

Latest news!

Master cylinder blew. Not a big deal, available over night. Replaced.

Bleeding brakes twisted off a bleed nipple. Left front vented caliper not available from any local parts store . . . at all. Got NAPA to search the world. Found one at twice the normal cost that should be here Monday.

But yes, still planning on going unless something else fails.

Still above ground.

Still have the Bertone.

I have become the principal care giver for my wife of 60 years who has Parkinsons so little time for hobbies. Keeping the housewhole functioning consumes all my hobby time. Bertone is still safely stored in a garage rather than a hay barn. Got all the last issues repaired but needs fuel distributor adjusted, engine timing set and air intake system rebuilt. I have all the hard parts but the flex tubing needs to be replaced.

Of course, I have a good 4 speed/OD AW transmission sitting on a transmission jack that needs to be installed. Anything done from here is probably qoing to require some paid assistance.

Last edited:
Back