• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project 122 Amazon Wagon has begun!!!

DaWhole9

Just picked up a 1964 Amazon Wagon....wow..it needs ALOT! The plan is to get it road ready again. The engine and drivetrain are GREAT. Runs smooth and like a top. The bad is it doesnt stop well at all. So I plan on having the brakes overhauled. Drums all around so new shoes, cylinders and bleeding should have it stopping like it did in 1964. The overall theme at first will be a rat rod...so It will be dropped, ALOT...and 17" wheels put on it. Then the interior will be gone through and then the exterior.

First jobs:

1. Key is stuck in the ignition...in the on position. So I will be replacing the ignition cylinder. Previous owner installed a push button starter switch so a new ignition cylinder should have that working well.

2. Dead Battery...probably related to number 1 and previous owner didnt drive it much at all in the past few years.

3. Brakes. Get it stopping well.

Once thats done then suspension, interior, and then decide on paint....

Here she is being unloaded from the truck on delivery day!

temp-Image2i-Ko-UP.jpg

temp-Imagec-Iqnf9.jpg

temp-Image-UVONXQ.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe you know already, but VP autoparts will be your friend fixing this thing. They are one of the few places that reliably have most things you will need in stock.

Maybe you know already, but VP autoparts will be your friend fixing this thing. They are one of the few places that reliably have most things you will need in stock.

Thanks!!! You're 220 is my inspiration!! And I have already ordered a new ignition switch and keys from VP!

Last edited:
OK...had a chance to do some work on the car.....

Popped the old lock cylinder out and attempted to install the new one. Realized the problem isn't the lock cylinder, its the actual electrical switch.

I lubed the switch with some lithium lube and inserted a screwdriver and worked the switch a bit. I was able to free it up a bit, but when moved to the start position, it gets stuck.

Here is the video of the switch...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/v6zPXR7OZw8

Last edited:
should have an NSFW in title

cool project, I love the 220s

:rofl:

Judging by the wires behind the dash, you may have had some creative changes made by a PO. Simple aftermarket switches are worth the effort, I don't remember exactly but I think a regular 3 post switch is what you need (double check first). They're a quick $10 on Amazon.

Info I got on another forum was that a 60's era MGB switch will work with minimal modifications. They are pretty cheap and still look vintage. Will look into that. Cut the armored cable to the coil, splice it and wire it to a new ignition switch.

I found a small amount of brake fluid under the car, seems to be coming from the clutch slave cylinder. I decided I would replace the entire clutch hydraulics. New clutch master, and clutch slave as well as all clutch lines.

New Parts
temp-Image0qg-Rvu.jpg

Old Clutch Master and new one...
temp-Image-SUa-XLb.jpg

temp-Imagefu3m-W7.jpg

temp-Imageu-S3-N9u.jpg

Old Clutch Save and New one
temp-Image-Pj-Md0-J.jpg

Installed!
temp-Imageu-G60b-C.jpg

temp-Image-Ch29-Ij.jpg

Bled the system snd now I have reliable clutch operation! On to the brakes!!

Previous owner had rigged a push button starter, and when he wanted to turn the car off he would disconnect th battery. So I found the ecact same Bosch ignition switch from the Porsche 356, but it didn't connect to to an armored cable so I got a Bosch blue coil which has the same specs as the armored coil.

temp-Imagez-ZOz-Q3.jpg

temp-Imageyx-Hkb3.jpg

temp-Imagel-FIJjm.jpg

temp-Imagenxd7-Mp.jpg

New ignition switch and coil installed!!

Porsche 356 ignition switch is supposed to be to the left of the steering column. J/K. That's where they are on Porsches. That's a cool find to use that switch. Looks good.

Back