• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

82 242 Manual Window crank mechanism

M.H. Yount

Over the past year or two, occasionally when I go to roll up the driver's side window in the car, it will get to a point where it becomes stiff and resists the force I'm putting into the crank. In the past, I simply roll it back down an inch or two past the resistance and then it rolls right up with no problem.

Pretty chilly here this morning, and this time I couldn't clear the resistance. It was stiff all the way up -- stiff enough I was concerned about breaking something.

Trying to educate myself before I pull the door panel and have a look-see. My ill informed thought is that I should probably pull the assembly and see what I can do to clean/lube it before putting it back in.

Anyone with any experience? Simple clean and lube or am I on the cusp of some more fundamental failure?

You should be able to simply clean and lubricate the mechanism and you will be fine.

There is a spring on the 242 that helps offset the extra weight of the window.

That said, the rest of the mechanism is the same and you can swap in a 244/245 window winder into a 242. The window is just a little heavier to roll up if everything else is the same.

The front doors use the same regulator, yes. I'm pretty sure the spring can be swapped.

Make sure the rubber window channel hasn't split or come out of the metal guide causing the window to jam. Either way, the panel has to come off to see what's causing the problem.

The front doors use the same regulator, yes. I'm pretty sure the spring can be swapped.

Make sure the rubber window channel hasn't split or come out of the metal guide causing the window to jam. Either way, the panel has to come off to see what's causing the problem.

Nope

242 arms are longer with a way bigger spring

On,y the early 142 use the same regulators as the 144 145

s-l300.jpg

My old 242 regular... sorry ****ty Googl dead picture - note the number of holes in arms (4 vs 3)

s-l225.jpg

Nope

242 arms are longer with a way bigger spring

On,y the early 142 use the same regulators as the 144 145

Tell me about it...2 door drivers side manual regs are rare as hens teeth around here......Btw, Anyone ever attempted to rebuild one? Like new bushings for the crank arm? Mine is a hotdog in a hallway.

You can probably swap the actual crank handle to gear mechanicm as it is riveted on there and what PROBABLY is the thing that goes bad

The plastic insert bushings are on every car

You can use the 4 door regulator in a 2 door. The only difference that makes any difference is the assist clock spring. Two door regulators get that spring because the glass is heavier.

The 82 242 I flipped 4-5 years ago I put a 245 regulator in the driver's door to replace the stripped tooth regulator that was in it. Bolted right in. The only difference was the helper spring and there was no easy way to swap that part over to the wagon regulator.

The 82 242 I flipped 4-5 years ago I put a 245 regulator in the driver's door to replace the stripped tooth regulator that was in it. Bolted right in. The only difference was the helper spring and there was no easy way to swap that part over to the wagon regulator.
This. Done it more times than I can count.

The power window regulators are completely different. I've never tried to bolt a 244/245 power window regulator in. Would probably work as an emergency type deal.

Back