home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 09-26-2020, 12:52 AM   #1
spock345
Board Member

Default TBI setup on a B18/B20

I am curious. Has anyone rigged up one of those newer TBI units to their B20 or B18? Seems like a two barrel one would fit on a weber manifold.

I will be sticking with carbs for now while I try to sort out my beaten up SUs but thought I would ask.
spock345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:51 AM   #2
fatcatbestcat
Professional Hack

I'm actually very curious about this myself.

I'm not sure which throttle body you're referring to, but the retroject 38/38 comes to mind.

They're not very cheap though, and I'd imagine an old K-jet/D-jet manifold would be better for actual EFI.

Does anyone have any opinions on TBI vs MPI in the case of the B18/B20s? I feel like the runners are short enough on most manifolds that it wouldn't matter between the two (except for having less injectors in a TBI setup), but I know next to nothing about EFI.

Various Pushrod Parts For Sale: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=358700

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
Will you do $14.99 shipped?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IansPlatinum View Post
please no more prying things with screwdrivers and bashing things with hammers!
fatcatbestcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:09 AM   #3
TR Conn
Board Member

The Weber TBI looks promising and easy to install, until you realize that it is not a complete system. No fuel pump, no computer, no O2 sensor, no wiring.
Ive been looking at the Holley Stealth TBI which comes as a kit with nearly everything necessary. There are two 2BBL models, both seem to have the same specifications but different body configurations. You would need an adapter for certain and since the built-in computer is enclosed in the TBI body I would want a phenolic spacer to insulate it from the manifold.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...parts/550-849K

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...parts/550-864K

Last edited by TR Conn; 09-29-2020 at 03:14 AM..
TR Conn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:52 AM   #4
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

They came with multi port EFI from the factory that’s better in every way that guys in white lab coats figured out?

Late F Heads probably are the best flow potential of all the B20 heads anyway, D-jet barely sips fuel?

D-jet in an Amazon is pretty well documented on vclassics.
Fuel tank maybe could use a bucket/baffle in any case.
D-jet to MS is pretty well documented too?

Throw the D-jet dist trigger points, map granade, TPS etc in the trash.
Install Standalone electronic idle control from k-jet car, Dist od your choice, profit and profit again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20$14.99, I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20$14.99 from people on the internet.
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #5
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

There is no profit when dealing with a vintage pushrod Volvo, it's pay now, and pay again later on.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:12 AM   #6
cwdodson88
Board Member

Megasquirt owner here. I was averaging 31mpg hwy with a somewhat conservative tune and V70xc brown injectors (335 cc/min IIRC), now its running 950cc Siemens Deka's from Yoshifab, along with full sequential ignition and injection, and starting the fine tuning, but I was still getting 27-29 if I could keep my foot out of it.

F head, k-jet injector holders, custom fuel rail, aftermarket FPR, megasquirt 2, modified 850 tps, 2L surge tank with 40 gph lift pump and a 255lph high pressure pump, -6AN EFI fuel lines, and last I checked I was all in at like $1k for everything as is now with the upgrades.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:02 PM   #7
TR Conn
Board Member

In previous posts I’ve been trying to add fuel injection without an E or F head. I tried several things and this is what I came up with. I know that the injectors arenÂ’t at a “proper” angle. If I had more than a drill press and a bandsaw with a metal cutting blade I could have gotten fancier.
The set-up works reasonably well, though my tuning skills are non existent. I can switch between FI and carbs in about 15 minutes.

Last edited by TR Conn; 09-29-2020 at 06:43 PM..
TR Conn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #8
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Double fuel systems for double reliability?
Old 09-29-2020, 06:07 PM   #9
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Conn View Post
In previous posts I’ve been trying to add fuel injection without an E or F head. I tried several things and this is what I came up with. I know that the injectors aren’t at a “proper” angle. If I had more than a drill press and a bandsaw with a metal cutting blade I could have gotten fancier.
The set-up works reasonably well, though my tuning skills are non existent. I can switch between FI and carbs in about 15 minutes.

Thats awesome! I had run my megasquirt with the 335cc browns in the head, and the SU's on the manifold. For a while I left the lines for the SU's all attached up to the firewall just in case..

I think that even though your angle isnt the best, it should run just as well as the SU's did.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:17 PM   #10
kyote
Living The Dream

I've got a beautiful GM/Rochester 2BBL TBI from a 4.3l Chevy we took off of the Jeep when we went Redblock that I will make a hella deal on.
New FPR, cleaned and flowed injectors, could be just what you need!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00941.jpg (101.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_00951.jpg (115.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_00961.jpg (95.4 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by kyote; 09-29-2020 at 08:28 PM..
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:22 AM   #11
spock345
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyote View Post
I've got a beautiful GM/Rochester 2BBL TBI from a 4.3l Chevy we took off of the Jeep when we went Redblock that I will make a hella deal on.
New FPR, cleaned and flowed injectors, could be just what you need!
I am sitting here with a B18 so stuff like this has my interest. That and cwdodson's setup are creative and unique. I like it. There is a thread I read where someone put GM TBI on a Mercedes 220 motor which caught my interest.

I am guessing the SUs are just there to be throttle bodies. Even with the carb bodies still there it is a very clean setup.

If I had an F head and a B20 I would be looking at D-jet. I also like hacking on electronics. The analog D-jet system has a level of elegance that you don't get in this era of micro-controllers.

Does D-jet need a fuel return line? I would assume it does. I am not sure how I would hook one up to the stock amazon fuel tank.
spock345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:42 AM   #12
Sparkles
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock345 View Post
I am not sure how I would hook one up to the stock amazon fuel tank.
There are probably a couple of different ways. On the estate there's a nice long pipe connecting the filler neck to the tank that something like this will fit into.
IMG-20190513-144334
Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #13
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
There are probably a couple of different ways. On the estate there's a nice long pipe connecting the filler neck to the tank that something like this will fit into.
IMG-20190513-144334
The sedan is much shorter on the fill tube side.

I used a "Bulkhead" style hose fitting for my return. Drilled an appropriate size hole in the fuel level sender. So far, no leaks, and it also makes for easy tank draining.