• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hackster's LSA / T56 2 door

You can if the rotor breaks when heavily loaded laterally....axle remnant, wheel, tire....

While this is true, there are thousands of these axles running around with tons of horsepower, a lot more than I have by a long shot. This is not being built to drag race either, no drag radials on prepped surfaces. There are C Clip eliminators but they are not recommended for any street use.

From Moser website...

A. We do NOT recommend using C-Clip Eliminators for street use; a C-Clip Eliminator is made for drag race only ( As a safety issue so you do not loose an axle, if it breaks ).C-Clip Eliminators are made for the straight shot down the strip. If you use C-Clip Eliminators on the street the aluminum block will eventually flex from cornering or just going around curves causing the C-Clip Eliminator to leak Rear-end fluid.

I guess I should have stuck with the factory Dana 30 and been better off?

Sean

IMG_20180904_191404_250_zpscvhd163y.jpg

:omg: :drool:

My comment was not intended to get someone else to make a diferent choice. Just intended to point out my preference. You’re likely gonna be fine Sean. I wouldn’t use an aluminum c-clip eliminator either. 9”-style steel flange, steel retainer. Most important is to simply use a quality axle that’s designed for track abuse.

Sean, thanks again for the pictures and also the part numbers on the Wilwoods! Definitely a great potential upgrade for the 8.8 if I ever feel the need. I love ventilated rear discs!

My comment was not intended to get someone else to make a diferent choice. Just intended to point out my preference. You?re likely gonna be fine Sean. I wouldn?t use an aluminum c-clip eliminator either. 9?-style steel flange, steel retainer. Most important is to simply use a quality axle that?s designed for track abuse.

I beat the **** out of the c clip 8.8 in my f100 that was much heavier and had no issues, I am not worried about it holding up, just think its funny how opinionated everyone is. No offense at all just find it interesting.

Sean, thanks again for the pictures and also the part numbers on the Wilwoods! Definitely a great potential upgrade for the 8.8 if I ever feel the need. I love ventilated rear discs!

No sweat.

Lowered front a bit to check how this is going to look. I dont hate it, needs more low and proper wheels but the 275's look pretty meaty.

Out of town again for a week. Gotta have it a roller in the next few weeks so I need to hack out that driver rear fender and get it pushed out, these are my roller tires.

Sean

There is not many newer vans in wrecking yards around here. My search took me to the most sketchy wrecking yard I have ever been too. Super nice guys but sketchy. They had some super cool cars in there, stuff you dont see in wrecking yards that are on the beaten path.

Sean

Is this in Eugene? I've totally been to places like that all around that city :-P

....just think its funny how opinionated everyone is. No offense at all just find it interesting.

Well, when you've had one fail while road racing in a certain mode, and the failure was "memorable", if you walk away, you tend to want to avoid that failure mode the next time.

Car looks really good with the big wheels/tires. Have you finalized how you're gonna fit them? bolt-on flares vs. stretch?

Is this in Eugene? I've totally been to places like that all around that city :-P

Yes indeed it is, its super sketchy off of Greenhill, some cars look like they have been there for decades. Much different than most of the yards anymore. Cool place to roam around and look at stuff though.

I twisted a axle on my 8.8 but it didn't break. Should be just fine :)

I am hoping, if not I will need upgraded shafts, should be easy enough.

Just checking in to say I really like this! Great craftmanship, happy to see such a swap.

Thank you for dropping in to give some props, I appreciate it.

Well, when you've had one fail while road racing in a certain mode, and the failure was "memorable", if you walk away, you tend to want to avoid that failure mode the next time.

Car looks really good with the big wheels/tires. Have you finalized how you're gonna fit them? bolt-on flares vs. stretch?

Totally understand. Since you posted up I have read quite a few posts and most people out there have no issues with the C Clip rearends road racing. I am curious what you were driving and how the axle broke? If you dont want to elaborate I understand.

These are only 10" wheels with a 275. I could easily run these with some fender massaging and I am tempted to do it just so I can get the car running and tuned, then I can mess with fenders, wheels and tires and stuff.

Not quite sure how that will all play out though.

Sean

Fox body, high speed left hand sweeper at Texas World Speedway (late 80’s), right axle broke catastrophically, force broke rotor. Fender kept wheel/tire from departing completely. But resulting off track excursion and extensive damage to right quarter panel totaled car. Brown pants moment. Since, I prefer external retainers and higher perf axles for something that might be tracked. Never sure of failure mode - appeared axle was twisted near/at splines where break occurred - later memory popped up, 28 spline axles, not 31. Explorer upgrades were not a dime a dozen back then.

Last edited:
Any updates? This is one of my favorites to follow in years...

Unfortunately not. I have not touched the car the entire month of September. I have been remodeling my home in Portland, dealing with flood damage in our Eugene house at the same time and still working some crazy hours.

The car needs to be fully mobile by early next week to be loaded onto a trailer so going to have to chop out the drivers rear fender and push it out to fit 4 wheels and tires on it and get it on the ground.

I will be moving and traveling almost the entire month of October and then hope to make some good progress on the car the last few months of the year. I honestly cannot believe how long this thing has taken me.

First Event will likely be in April of 2019.

Sean

Glad to hear that things are coming along with the flood damage repair. We, uh, have a good bit of that going on here in NC....although our home/property came out remarkably well after 13" of rain in about 30 hours. We could 'drought out' the rest of 2018 and still be ahead of our annual average. The wonder of statistics and averages....

Chopped out the other rear fender, pushed quarter panel out, rolled the fenders, bolted on some ****ty spacers so it could roll.

Loaded on the trailer and hauled it back to our old house. I could not make Eugene work personally for me. Was a great place to work, but couldnt find a happy place between work and home life, very little car culture and too far in the country to do any bike riding.

So onto the next chapter.

I couldnt resist this shot...

Tucked away for a few months while I get the rest of my life straightened out.

Sean

I too would love to see pictures of the tubs to see exactly what your approach was for widening, I love the build! I've been thinking about doing my rear shocks in the frame like you did for a while. Keep up the great work!

Back