• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hackster's LSA / T56 2 door

Wow, what a great group of people its one of the things that keeps me involved with the Volvo community!!

I appreciate all of the advice, words of wisdom, offers to help me out, I have read through all of the comments and gave it a few days to think about it. Then I got my ass back in the garage and got to work.....

When I got it buttoned up to move, it was just to get it to roll so there is a lot of stuff left to do that nobody would ever see. I started at the back of it and am working my way forward.

I needed to create an access panel in the trunk to get to the new fuel pump location, I started with the stock location and worked my way over to the new pump location, hole saw and some tin snips and we have a nice clean opening, some riv nuts in the body and a nice aluminum plate to cover it all up and make it a little more safe. I also tightened all the fuel connections and buttoned up the wiring and weatherpack connectors for the fuel pump.

With that buttoned up I got to doing all the safety wire on the rotors, believe it or not this is a very nice task and once I got it down I enjoyed doing it.

I had not gotten around to rear brake lines, so that was next, I had some brake lines made locally as the first ones I got were too long at the caliper and ran into the spring. Drilled and tapped the axle housing for some tabs and got those on, hard lines bent up and tightened and the flex lines on. Torqued the calipers, loaded up the pads and the aside from fluids the rearend is done!!

One other item to note, my terminals I had originally ordered and installed were just too bulky and got too close to the battery mount, I was worried about wear over time or something moving around and shorting so I picked up another set that are smaller but use lugs to connect instead of allen head screws in the terminal. This meant undoing everything and crimping the new ends on the wire in the car. My Hydraulic crimper worked great for the smaller stuff but had to borrow my neighbors big crimper for the 1/0 guage, its total overkill but never have to worry about it not having big enough wire.......I got it all for free too. I like how this has turned out.

So guages should show up today, Racepak IQ3 Street Dash, I have a new battery on order, going to try and start getting fluids in this week, heat up the electrical so we can pull the factory tun out of it and start working on a new tune.

Thanks again for the motivation, it was much needed.

Sean

Hell yeah dude! Sounds like you're pretty close to first start!!!

I can't wait to hear your opinion of the rear end setup, I plan on copying it in the future and it seems like you've worked out a great system. And those brakes look amazing

Thanks for the restart - I felt like my favorite car show got cancelled!!

As usual much awesomeness here...

First start is imminent...

Hell yeah dude! Sounds like you're pretty close to first start!!!

I can't wait to hear your opinion of the rear end setup, I plan on copying it in the future and it seems like you've worked out a great system. And those brakes look amazing

Yeah, fairly close to it at least to make sure it turns over and fires, still needs exhaust. There is so much I am curious about on it too =) Kind of in uncharted waters on some of this stuff.

Thanks for the restart - I felt like my favorite car show got cancelled!!

As usual much awesomeness here...

First start is imminent...

Haha Thanks. Yep, getting close.

Not much done last night but the Racepak IQ3S did show up last night and its a very nice piece, looking forward to getting it installed in the coming weeks.

This is what I am going for on the guages. Not sure yet about that AFR Guage, curious if I can integrated the output from the AEM to an input on the Racepak so it reads on the main screen. Should find out today.

Fluids, battery and some other odds and ends are on their way. Going to try and put power to the ECU this week.

Sean

Nothing that everyone else hasn't already said, but kick ass build. Getting a lot of ideas myself from this and your previous 242 build. Keep it up!

Nothing that everyone else hasn't already said, but kick ass build. Getting a lot of ideas myself from this and your previous 242 build. Keep it up!

Thanks man, appreciate the compliment.

Dropped some parts off at STS to get the hook up on some on off bits and pieces.

Got home and my parts I ordered from Summit on Monday had shown up, thats some amazing customer service right there, free 1 day shipping.

The battery in the previous pics was a dead one from a long time ago just used for mockup. So I got this battery swapped in and actually bolted down for the first time, new battery terminals are way better.

Picked up some new to me 5 panel taillights that are in much better shape. A little clean up on the buckets and some detailing on the lights and its mucho better!!

I have a few things to button up the next few days, going to try and put power to it before the weekend and read the ECU.

About to order up all the stuff for the exhaust too. Man I have a lot of **** left to do.

Sean

Dude me too. And it's all going to be half as powerful and 1/4 as slick.

Its all good man, dont think of it like that, I have a few years head start on you =)

Got my Mighty Mouse catch can last night and got it installed, just need a couple of fittings so I can get the rest of it plumbed and hope it clears the hood with the top fitting on it. Its a killer piece and very nicely built. Owner helped me with a diagram for routing on my unconventional setup.

I have to get an order together for exhaust real soon, its going to jump up on me and I am going to need o2 bungs.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful week.

Sean

Didnt have much time to work on this turd over the weekend but did manager a few pretty nice steps of progress.

Hooked up power for the first time and no smoke so that was good.

Added Oil to the engine and it didnt all leak out of it.

We were able to turn the key on and check for things like fuel pump operation.....verified with a light not running the pump yet.

So we hooked up the computer and pulled the stock tune from it and Ron got to work building a tune and had the first one back to me on Sunday morning, I bought some credits for the first time, loaded a tune and checked a few things, throttle pedal operates, and gave her the gusto, she even cranked over!!!!!

I have a few things left to button up on the evap system from Mighty Mouse and still need to add fuel and check for leaks but should be able to test fire it on Wednesday night or Thursday of this week I am out of town all week until then.

I managed to pick up some seats from Rvolvo Asher that were damn close to what I was looking for yesterday after I chopped off some volvo axle brackets for him. Seats are a great fit in the car. It took a little work to fab up some brackets but they are pretty low profile and look great. Need some cleanup and powdercoat now.

I dropped them off at the upholstery shop yesterday and they are getting redone in dark brown leather with black double french stitch on the outers, black stitching on the center pleats and a small black embroidered RECARO logo where the plastic logo resides now. Adan has done all of my other seats and does a killer job.

I hope to keep progress on adding fluids and starting to nut and bolt things. Waiting on steering arms from Ben @ Kaplhenke Racing now to button up the front end.

New Carpet is ordered, floor mats and 3 yards of extra in case the rear seat gets deleted.

New window scrapers inner and outer are ordered from Dave Barton.

Fittings should be waiting for me when I get home tonight to finish the evap/mighty mouse catch can setup.

I drive a lot for work, been going back and forth to Bend, Eugene and Portland at least once a week for the past month and a half and we finally got some snow, so on my route yesterday I was messing around up in the snow to come across this BMW sideways stuck off the road and it was stuck......Toyota to the Rescue. Someone would have run across her soon enough but it was a fun little adventure. All I had was my tube bender handle to dig and a cheap ass harbor freight ratchet strap but I got her out and down a few miles to safety.

And an honorable to mention to TOYOTA. I bought this thing a year ago its a base model, 4 cylinder with a 5 speed that I tossed the TRD suspension, flares and wheels and tires on (All takeoffs with less than 100 miles for $800.00) Although its gutless on hills its been without a doubt the most solid built and reliable car I have ever owned. Believe it or not, the electonic limited slip works suprisingly well. 1 year and 25,000 miles.

I had chatted with a couple friends who happen to have a full CNC machine shop at their house about a crazy idea a few weeks ago. When Scott said he was up for it I was super stoked but I had no idea that it would turn out this good. Amazing work to say the least and its far too nice of a piece to go into my ****ty old 242. Thanks again Scott!!

It took a couple tries to make it perfect but its amazing in my opinion.

It will be getting blasted and anodized black to blend in perfectly into the dash. SO STOKED!!

Racepak mount looks so awesome. Great work. Doesn't it need some buttons to swap through pages though?

Thank you, Indeed it does, they will be hidden away somewhere that is not just out there in the middle of the dash, I am shooting for ultra clean.

That looks really slick!

Thank you!!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you order the carpet from? Is it generic carpeting or is it pre-cut?

I ordered it from a place called Stock Interiors. Its is molded carpet and I am hoping close to the stock color, I ordered enough extra to also do the trunk and cover the rear seat area if that is the route I choose to go. I also ordered matching bound floor mats, not sure how those will turn out. Shipping was the killer, carpet was not that expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Hell yes. I was so hoping you would match that bend in the Racepak.

That is one of the reasons I worked with Scott on this, he knew what I was looking for and it makes it look like it is supposed to fit there.

Mount looks incredible!! Really gonna make my sheet metal version look like poo.

All good man, I had been thinking of how to make it out of aluminum and welding it all together, this just worked out perfect timing wise for Scott and I. He cranked it out fast too all things considered. Less than a week from the napkin drawing to finished machined part out for coating.

Been dicking around with it a little bit this week, has enough fluids in it to turn the key over but get no start, no fuel or ignition so we think we have something either with VATS or PASSKEY still enabled. Got a new tune I will load tonight and see if that works to get us fire.

Fuel system got all filled and bled out at the rails so should fire up pretty quick once we get it worked out. Even filled and bled the power steering system.

No Idea how he did it but the Upholstery guy got these done in 4 days. They are not perfect but they are damn good!!! THese are real leather hides with custom stitching on the back piece. Seams are all black thread and a double french stitch added to the outer seams. Very classy looking seats in my opinion.

I am going to do all the insert and foam work on the door panels and have him do the stitching and glue up on them. The plan is to match the pleat pattern on the seats on the 2 door cards the rear sail panel pieces then come up with something for the rear seat area. I am thinking something mid 80's porsche interior is what is in my pea brain. Roll Bar will be painted satin same color as the seats.

Carpet has been shipped. Gotta figure out some seat belts now and get some tubing ordered for the roll bar.

Moving along, test drive could be in a few weeks if all goes well.

Sean

Back