• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1981 scotia blue 242

tbent142

MR8GbS0l.jpg

A few years ago I bought a $600 244 that ran and drove. I learned a lot from that car, mainly from the mistakes I made. Often times exacerbating problems in attempts to solve them. That being said the car never failed and left me stranded. Eventually After making a lot of good progress and completing a b230ft rebuild and swap I sold the car last month and broke even for what I had into. Ha with the exception of labor- that won’t be recouped.
ifs5If7l.jpg

2Eu2Ak0l.jpg

xKOW5pkl.jpg

The main reason for selling my old car was to peruse this:
hAkYjjcl.jpg

Found this 242 on Craigslist. few and far between in the northeast. I reached out to the guy selling it and went down to Poughkeepsie where it was parked on a small farm. After going back and forth we met in the middle with the price and I came home with the car and title. The previous owner did as much as he could in the 6 months he owned it before deciding to part ways. I was curious to find the history of a 37 year old car like this. Not much is know other than the guy who he had bought it from looked like Willie Nelson and had it parked in his back yard in Red Hook NY. He had it because he thought it would be good on gas:uh:

dniGRGZl.jpg

Never have seen a fuel economy gauge in a 240

The car has all the bones but is going to need a good deal of body work. It came with some parts.
JzcwCDIl.jpg

I will start with what Im up against in terms of the bad
i5tCDWcl.jpg

Ea5BJGCl.jpg

mQWjNtel.jpg

Ythr3ucl.jpg

s91rs3vl.jpg

WKFqfS8l.jpg

Beauty is sometimes only skin deep.. rust has done a number on this car. my plan is to drive it around on weekends for a few weeks and then get it in the garage, tear it down and make sure the mig welder is go to go.

vqkxySSl.jpg

UaQvYwZl.jpg

vbpPPRGl.jpg

xaFbtdAl.jpg

Last edited:
Well this seems like it should be fun!
Great car and project you've got there.
Good luck, will follow along.

Looks nice from 10 feet. Find patch panels at Fixmyrust.com. There are other sites as well. Have fun!

Looks nice from 10 feet. Find patch panels at Fixmyrust.com. There are other sites as well. Have fun!

Thanks, it?s def been resprayed at some point. Patch panels are in decent supply. I am going to use VP-volvo they have a pretty extensive parts catalog- a lot of 240 stuff now.

I?ve gotten the car out a few times- loved it. The original b21 runs good, m46 shifts great, overdrive engages well even the green light comes on the dash. I took the time to sort out a few simple things to get the car in decent driving condition for a few weeks or until the snow flies and to go get it nys inspected.

Windshield wipers were shot in more ways than one. Replaced wiper motor, I wire wheeled the control arms primed them and sprayed them with a trim paint.
SOkMZ1Tl.jpg

gBTkJOQl.jpg

6Z39JAcl.jpg

I also put in new ball joints, replaced fuel line from main pump to sender/tank added a new brake booster hose with Bosch check valve- copped off fcp for $6. Brakes 100% better and idle has smoothed out. and a new set of battery cables

Among the ancient cables, connectors, and hoses in a 37 year old engine bay
iaz2wPgl.jpg

I did a once over in the engine bay for now.
41FxEP2l.jpg

I rebuilt a 13c turbo this afternoon, among several I got for free last year when I did the b230ft swap in my old car.
MGoBLv6l.jpg

It may be highly ambitious to get all the body work done and do an engine swap this winter but time will tell.

Over the past couple of months Ive ripped this car apart as much as I am willing to for now. The most recent progress has been increasingly rewarding...

483g3yXl.jpg

3S0uNGzl.jpg

J3TwT6dl.jpg

I ended up swapping a 3.31 out of a 91.
BWovxnhl.jpg

R/R of battery tray support fame/area. I will get to the other body fabrication in another post.
vW09szPl.jpg

V5MhXcBl.jpg

Crank back from machine shop rod and main journals are polished and within spec
wXHym8pl.jpg

Block is ready for assembly
PT47VwHl.jpg

X7X96oOl.jpg

Yeah it's come around as an underrated front end. At least bring it to me if you get rid of it.

Please leave the coffin hood and quad squares! I dig this one, keep up the good work!

Thanks man. Lately my gut has been telling me to leave it as is.
I will be completely honest with you that I initially had every intention of swapping a flat hood that I got with the car. As for the quad squares- I love them always have. It seems the 81?s black trim under the lights are unique.

A few updates:
emAnUwnl.jpg

Rear end swap out of a 91. New pinion seal I pulled axle shafts repacked bearings, new bushings etc. I went for stock lemforder ones.
ErdQHA7l.jpg

HD bilsteins. These with stock rubber bushings will be more livable for the upstate ny pothole induced roads. I replaced the ancient parking brake shoes and got some new backing plates.
4P4VhTEl.jpg

Put new gaskets in the m46, cleaned it up. It works and it?s all I got for now. Thought I?d give it a little effort.
z7HxkVzl.jpg

Engine is built. I am using ft pistons Ipd turbo cam. Complete overhaul. Block is a 93 b230f
c8DGQqal.jpg

vzGoyLTl.jpg

13c for now.
Body:
7HVVAall.jpg

One example of the extensive rust repair that I will chip away at
Here?s what that rocker initially looked like:
u1N43TDl.jpg

Back