• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vibration/Noise issue after T5 trans swap. Please Help.

John, I would certainly be interested in seeing your mount solution pictures. Please share. I've been considering refabricating the crossmember and mount stuff, but the plate and Ford mount was quick and cheap for the time being.

I agree about the rebuild job potentially being questionable. I may end up going through it again to ensure that all is as it should be before I get too many miles on the thing. Thankfully I'm only needing to put about 50 miles on the car each week right now.

So it still does this with the clutch in. ...
nothing touching on the front cross member due to the transmission angle? spigot bearing?

ok, sounds like an engine issue. is the oil pan hitting the crosmember? if you have the clutch pushed in and it still dose it that eliminates the tranny.

this is random, but check your harmonic balancer in the front, it may have gone bad randomly along with the swap. if your not sure, mark the inside and outside with some paint and check it again after driving to see it it has moved at all since the inside is rubber ... This is assuming you still have the stock harmonic balancer. If 1 piece crank pulley make sure it is seated properly and nothing went weird on it. You never know things weird do happen so dont count anything out.

Well, the car is in the garage until Saturday. I will take it to the shop Saturday morning and look over a bunch of things and make an assessment of where to go from here. After passing it around everyone in the shop on Monday, and doing some more careful test driving, it has become clear to me that I do indeed have a driveline vibration that is pretty violent at about 20MPH. I am going to adjust driveline angles as required to fix that issue first and see if it has any effect on the seemingly RPM-only based vibration and noise around which this thread is based. Once I've done that, I can re-evaluate the situation as a whole. I appreciate all of the input thus far, and will give a status report once I've had more time to mess with the car.

I installed a T5, and now moving onto another tranny, and while googling that tranny with aftermarket bellhousings, its recomended to dial indicate the new bellousing to the crankshaft, or in your case, the tranny adapter. If its not centered then the input shaft will have a tremendous sideload and cause issues like this too.

Back