• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sleeving a B230

calise! go get a block for $50 and start over..Is something special?

A fragment of the true fawkin' cross?? merde!

Its a block..There are many like it..
Hell Vince, remember him, that soon-to-be-full-time BC hippie has piles of blocks abandoned out there and he's probably never coming back. Borrow one..

When he's gonna build another motor he can get yours if it cleans up at 1mm

Keep it simple, stupide!!!:-P
tou' jours simple!

Well in my neck of the woods there ain't no tabarnak de blocs available and I'm not going to buy a freakin car to take the motor out and find out that the block is in bad shape. The block I have is already painted and the oil return hole has already been drilled and tapped, which is a pain in the arse of a job to do again.

Simple isn't always the best way to go, you should know that at your venerable age! ;-)

As above. Finding a block that will accomodate a standard size piston these days is not easy, even here in Portland. I had to source 4 of them before finding one that would work.

As above. Finding a block that will accomodate a standard size piston these days is not easy, even here in Portland. I had to source 4 of them before finding one that would work.

It's even hard to find a good block for an oversize piston... It has to be an NA block because the B230FT block all have that ridge at the top of the bores.

I've got a squirter block in the hoard which has the Melling 96mm liners pressed into it. Seller told me he paid ~$75 a hole for the machining work. Post install the sleeves were then bored/finished for the stocker 96mm turbo pistons. Too good a deal to pass up at the time.... my son will build a 16V red block with that as the starting point. Good ol' boy machinist up in Chattanooga told me they were pressed in with some serious tonnage. Not sure if dry ice by itself would be enough.... but that's how they got 'er done.

I found an AQ131c locally. Waiting for the price. If it's under $200 I'll probably take it. Sleeves are like $50 CAD each + machining. Just machining the AQ block would be cheaper.

96.5mm seems to be basically the standard bore for built engines with forged pistons... anyone here blown out a cylinder? Just so rarely see sleeves discussed for a cast iron red block.

it is more like 96,3 bore with 96,22 pistons.. and that gives the fit during operatings temps but causes pistonslap when cold..

I wonder how much boost those will take with the liners? Or is it more of a core shift that blows them up? It would be neat to sleeve my spare b21ft to be solid for like 600hp lol

You sleeve happy redblockers remember when Nathan had that bad assed turbo 16v motor? That the one sleeve he had put in it went boom? Remember that? How did he fix that? 2JZ..

What's a sleeve? One more thing to kool aid..

Yep, there isn't much of a performance advantage to sleeves at all. They exist to keep your block useable when the bores are way too hogged out to reuse and you can't find another engine.

You sleeve happy redblockers remember when Nathan had that bad assed turbo 16v motor? That the one sleeve he had put in it went boom? Remember that? How did he fix that? 2JZ..

What's a sleeve? One more thing to kool aid..

Yep, there isn't much of a performance advantage to sleeves at all. They exist to keep your block useable when the bores are way too hogged out to reuse and you can't find another engine.

There are regular sleeves and performance sleeves. I think that a 1/8 thick sleeve can take some abuse. A Darton sleeved Whiteblock T6 will take over 1000 hp.

How much HP was Nathan making with his 16v when it went kaboom? I would say a lot.

There are regular sleeves and performance sleeves. I think that a 1/8 thick sleeve can take some abuse. A Darton sleeved Whiteblock T6 will take over 1000 hp.

How much HP was Nathan making with his 16v when it went kaboom? I would say a lot.

it wasn't making all that much. I think it'd been punched back out too big or something. that was a long time ago, and trying to draw life lessons from a sample size of 1 isn't always a great idea.

sleeving works, plenty of high hp engines get sleeved.

Motor made this on the dyno @ 20.5 PSI on the wastegate:

twrgzFB.jpg

Than it did 3 little drift runs, no abuse since it was its for time out:

2r9ZuQi.jpg

Then this happened:

JmBrdKS.jpg

Car owner (John Knox) thought headgasket failure again but nope...

p1HvKAb.jpg

s2Dmu0m.jpg

Cylinder #4 bore cracked...

Knox will maybe have the block sleeved and the head oringed.

I'm probably going to get a couple sleeved back stock for various purposes, it's easier than trying to dig up replacement engines anymore, and having known quantities would be nice.

I'm probably going to get a couple sleeved back stock for various purposes, it's easier than trying to dig up replacement engines anymore, and having known quantities would be nice.

A 92mm bore would be a very nice thing to have indeed.

Back