• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Royal Flush for the AC system

kyote

Living The Dream
Going to attempt a full on flush, new compressor, drier, tvx on my 1983.
I know it's not the "hottest" system but as my uncle bumble**** says you gotta piss with the cock ya got.

I changed some dirty oil out of the Diesel Kiki, threw in a new drier, sucked it down and shot it up with duster. Couldn't get acceptable vent temps, suspect the compressor is shot, so I'm replacing it all, and flushing what I can't.

Questions:
1. Must I remove the evaporator to flush? Can I flush from the hose at the drier?
2. Is 7.5 turns out the right tvx adjustment for 134a? How about for duster/152a?
3. Should I even **** with the TVX?
4. Any gains to be had with an aftermarket universal parallel flow condenser? Or will I not see benefit without replacing the evaporator? Is there a better evaporator available? (other than the unobtanium retrofit from Volvo)

Get a cheapy ebay AC manifold before you call the compressor bad. Definitely screw with the expansion valve, the stock (3 or 3.5 turns?) R12 setting won't get you adequately chilly if you're using anything but R12. I wouldn't screw with the evaporator if it's not leaking, but since you're in texas a parallel flow one might be a good idea.

Dunno about flushing the system, not sure if you'd really be able to with the expansion valve in place.

I've got a manifold, vac pump, and all the goodies.
Compressor oil had quite a bit of black floating in it.

remove dryer and ditch for a new one. Flush from there. Use compressed air to get rid of whatever moister is in lines. Let sit for a while and suck down. I use compressor oil on all my oil rings for a good seal. Just do it already

Already did it once, half ass, now going to try it whole assed. I miss you Aron hope you're doing well my dude!

Interesting... I didn't realize that the TXV was adjustable. I thought it was a set calibration. I might have to see where mine is set now. I have an old receipt from a Volvo dealer saying that the system was converted, so I hope that was part of the process!

Well, went to dump the charge and found a line had blown, no charge. So went full nuclear and ordered a new parallel flow condenser, all rubber hoses, a hydraulic ac hose crimper, some new fittings, and envirosafe refrigerant. That combined with the new sanden style compressor, receiver drier, and txv and hopefully we will have a system that satisfies.

Attachments

• IMG_20200606_164144.jpg
    IMG_20200606_164144.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20200606_161539.jpg
    IMG_20200606_161539.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20200606_164133.jpg
    IMG_20200606_164133.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20200606_171015.jpg
    IMG_20200606_171015.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20200606_210827.jpg
    IMG_20200606_210827.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 64
Nice! When I bought my 93 back in 05. I replaced all that except the condenser since it was the correct one for 134a. I had to replace the pusher fan too as that had failed and seized. If you don't have a pusher fan I'd definitely add that as well.

Yes I think I may have one somewhere. In my 91 the only time I needed condenser fan was in a drive through or at a train in summertime. That was with duster and a parallel flow condenser but I was less than thorough with that system.

Doubt there's a fan that can move 65mph of cfms.

Did you order fittings and hose locally or online? I would love to hear if everything works out and copy the setup. I am starting from scratch as I ripped everything out when I was young and dumb in 2005.

Did you order fittings and hose locally or online? I would love to hear if everything works out and copy the setup. I am starting from scratch as I ripped everything out when I was young and dumb in 2005.

I did the same in 06 to my 242, like an idiot, like a kid :)
Please note my hose lengths as ordered have excess added for posterity.
I ordered from ColdHose for the hose and fitting parts, amazon for the crimper and butyl type tape. Compressor, reciever drier, txv, envirosafe refrigerant from ebay.
Shopping list from coldhose attached, in your case you would want to order all fittings needed, the ferrules are for reusing the original fittings in some locations.

Attachments

• coldhose order.PNG
    coldhose order.PNG
    29 KB · Views: 33
Back