• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242 2.3L Ecoboost 6spd Swap **Picture Heavy**

I'm not sure yet. I'm going to definitely get it tuned so I can make the most out of the bigger wastegate spring, big intercooler, big exhaust and intake, running 93 octane, and colder spark plugs. A friend has HP Tuners and they support the Ford Performance kit it so I think I'd like to find someone to tune it with that instead of having to buy the accessport ($630ish last I looked) and then have someone tune it.
- The kit

All good! I swear that clutch line connector is newer. I didn't see it last winter when I was researching for the failed clutch setup. Your setup looks cool!

Thanks for the link - yeah - I wouldn't need the entire kit.

I've never seen the hose end for sale before, so likely it is as you say, a newer addition.

I'm enjoying your build, precisely because you are including the nitty-gritty details & not glossing over the grunt work it takes to get things right.

I'm enjoying your build, precisely because you are including the nitty-gritty details & not glossing over the grunt work it takes to get things right.

The 1-hour car build shows kill me because of the lack of details. Plus my memory is garbage so this helps the process haha.

Last edited:
*3D printing zone*

So I don't know how many of you are interested in 3D printing, but I lucked up on a Creality Ender 3 Pro. I've wanted to learn more about the process so I decided to include it in my build.

With the way the cage is, I didn't have room to mount the OEM mirror and I didn't like seeing all the bars behind me that also blocked my view. I picked up a digital rear view mirror that also has a front facing dashcam. The rear camera will be mounted in the rear window.

The Dashcam

This is supposed to strap onto the original mirror, but since I wouldn't have one, I had to engineer around that. Starting in Fusion 360, I went with this design 1st. (*I'm a 3D modeling amateur. Please be nice or helpful.)

50924922842_9812c0c664_c.jpg

Which turned into this quick and dirty model printed in PLA.

50953822887_179a0fc223_c.jpg

This and future pieces were printed ASA as to better withstand the interior temperatures that a summer car can reach. A notch was added to tuck the mirror a little closer to the bar.

50953015098_e7ee6ab4d5_c.jpg

Then came the destructive testing. This was also to see how the orientation of the print affected the strength in the direction of possible forces.

50953822962_331b0d05a8_c.jpg

50953717146_b713efe190_c.jpg

I then had to make the cage clamps out of ASA too. As you can see, I decided to go with a GoPro style mount. It's simple and it works.

50953015153_e21be6bd34_c.jpg

50953822947_13b3c812d4_c.jpg

50953717176_c6495c3d99_c.jpg

And we're left with this...

50953023743_c993c6cc06_c.jpg

50953725376_424f7713db_c.jpg

IT WIGGLES SLIGHTLY WHEN BUMPED OR JOSTLED. I HATE IT.
Let's try again.

That's a super cool product and nice mount you designed too.

The GoPro style clamped joint might not be able to cope with that much mass cantilevered off of it. You could try doubling it up, with two mounting points and two clamps. Either way it would be good to add a fillet radius at the base of each tab where it joins into the main base of your mount.

The GoPro style clamped joint might not be able to cope with that much mass cantilevered off of it. You could try doubling it up, with two mounting points and two clamps. Either way it would be good to add a fillet radius at the base of each tab where it joins into the main base of your mount.

I never thought about that base radius, but that's a great idea.

3D Model II: The Sequel

The very cool thing about Fusion 360 is it's timeline feature that allows you to go back and make changes to old designed pieces and the change reflect to the current iteration of the part. I went back a few versions and made a new branch.

*FYI putting holes in a print saves material only and not time! Holes create new faces and walls/faces are printed slower than infill.

The new design:

50989133226_7531d2f649_c.jpg

50953726551_4988111bd9_c.jpg

50953832302_1d799a2c4c_c.jpg

50953726516_baf27ba9d7_c.jpg

Very proud that I saved 6 grams of material with this design!

50986961471_d2d44677bd_c.jpg

50987065697_8f86ab6291_c.jpg

50987065677_ec85c06bd5_c.jpg

Solidly mounted now!!

New mount looks great! Curious to read your review of this mirror mojangus once you get the car out on the road. Don't forget to "remove it off before use" though.

I haven't played with any DI engines or tuning yet but hopefully in some future project. Kudos to you for diving in and figuring out the 2.3 EB swap in the 240 though! I like your approach. We need in-car video once you're able to hoon it around on the road.

The turbo setup on the 2.3 is a weird one, with the unique twin scroll turbine inlet flange arrangement and the fact that it's reverse rotation (CCW viewed from front). If you need any info on the turbo itself I'm happy to help.

Thats awesome, cool product. The piece you printed looks professional, something I'd buy off the shelf.

What are your plans for gauges/filling in your dashboard? I'm at about the same place, have a dash but nothing in it

New mount looks great! Curious to read your review of this mirror mojangus once you get the car out on the road. Don't forget to "remove it off before use" though.

I haven't played with any DI engines or tuning yet but hopefully in some future project. Kudos to you for diving in and figuring out the 2.3 EB swap in the 240 though! I like your approach. We need in-car video once you're able to hoon it around on the road.

The turbo setup on the 2.3 is a weird one, with the unique twin scroll turbine inlet flange arrangement and the fact that it's reverse rotation (CCW viewed from front). If you need any info on the turbo itself I'm happy to help.

Thank you! I'm close, I can't wait. There will be plenty of video. I'll reach out if I do!

Thats awesome, cool product. The piece you printed looks professional, something I'd buy off the shelf.

What are your plans for gauges/filling in your dashboard? I'm at about the same place, have a dash but nothing in it

That's upcoming. Digital dash with at least 2 separate gauges (fuel and external temp). It's overly involved like everything else I'm doing haha.

Love the last revision. Very nice!

Appreciated!

Was going to say the same thing - fillet tool is the best. I designed injection molded plastic parts with SolidWorks for a few years.

I see you're in PA also. If you ever put your 240 in a car show this summer, let me know. I think it'd be cool to have two Ford-powered 240's next to each other!

Was going to say the same thing - fillet tool is the best. I designed injection molded plastic parts with SolidWorks for a few years.

I see you're in PA also. If you ever put your 240 in a car show this summer, let me know. I think it'd be cool to have two Ford-powered 240's next to each other!

Hell yeah!

Back