• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Manifolds and Manifold Design?

EivlEvo

So... using what little logic I possess, I've traced the whistling, and "louder valves" to actually be an exhaust leak on my car.

This is most likely a cracked manifold because obviously.

My question is...

If I were to make my own manifold, what setup works best on the 240 B230F+t?

I know the crappy ebay one moves the turbo further forward (why?), but I don't know that I've seen anything else.

Thoughts?

Moving the turbo further forward gives you more room for a larger turbo, if you are so inclined. There's space in the front corner of the engine bay, but there's not much you can do about the shock tower in the stock (or close to) position.

Why not repair the existing manifold?

If I have to yank it off of there anyhow, I may as well get into other turbos and such. I have a spare 16G lying around that could probably use a new CHRA. Might be nice to set this up with an external gate and try and blow my motor.

Otherwise disco potato or maybe cheap holset.

Anybody know what size turbos reliably fit on stock manifolds? Don't the holsets just bolt up?

Where you put it though? Forward? Or stock position? Which manifold?

Also... I mean, broken studs are a thing man... I'm not trying to be taking this all off a million times. I'll die!

J-pipe is the easiest with a NA manifold. Has to be braced. There was a good example of one done correctly, I just can't find the pic/thread.

Where you put it though? Forward? Or stock position? Which manifold?

Also... I mean, broken studs are a thing man... I'm not trying to be taking this all off a million times. I'll die!

it's on a stock manifold. snug, but not impossible. I don't break too many studs, and at any rate, they're cheap to replace. normally the studs come out of the head if they've been in a while.

large.jpg

There isn't a whole lot of space due to the strut tower so you have to move the turbo up closer to the radiator.

There is my example. There will be more room with a 8 valve

I have updated questions as I begin the journey to Holset land.

The general consensus is to grind the flange off of the stock B230FT turbo manifold, and mount holset there.

Is this considered better than log manifold or j pipe? I have both NA and turbo manifolds available to yutz with, and Holset 351 has a wastegate port welded to hotside so I believe I should be good to go in that sense...

TLAO was just implying in another thread that the J pipe proved to be quite limiting compared to his custom equal length setup. This would seem obvious to me, but I wonder how it compares to just a stock turbo manifold? Just trying to weigh out my strategy and options moving forward here.

I'm confused how it's limiting when the car in question was performing the same with less boost.

Maybe I missed that part. I read that that car seemed to hit a wall at about 18psi (don't quote me on this). Whereas he was able to bring his up to much more boost.

I'm asking more than stating. My suggesting that was merely my interpreting it. But I'm genuinely asking what people think is better now.

Does anyone have any flow numbers (I can't imagine) on the turbo manifold vs an NA manifold? Anything with up/J pipes?

Back