• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Harmonic Balancer... Refurbishment?

WeezilUSA

So the harmonic balancer on my 940 has started slipping, but hasn't really started wobbling yet. Has anybody tried taking it off and using some sort of adhesive to get the rubber to bond back on both sides? Or am I just trying to be too much of a cheapskate... Seems like it could be worth a try, I'm just getting annoyed with the squeeling that it is producing at times.

Drill through the pulley V groove, then run a tap through it, then a bolt through from inside the pulley. It needs to be balanced, so use four bolts at 90 degrees from each other.
Get a new one, not a cheap one, or find a good used one.

I am in the same boat. If I take some of my tax return I can get a nice new one of some flavor. (underdrive, oem, or maybe a nice used one?)
Though I should be cheap and do the bolt through trick.:lol:

i guarantee adhesive isn't going to hold long.

ESPECIALLY WITH MAD REDBLOCK TORQUE

Has anyone tried replacing the rubber sleeve with a press fit steel or aluminum sleeve? It would only need to be done one time.

I have one off a 1990 b230f with 140k miles that's good. Cover shipping cost of 11.80 and its yours.

As you can see i have the cyl 1 at TDC and i put a white line on the pulley and the plastic case mark so you can see the alignment.

180017_1686393412203_1608712812_1473901_2881313_n.jpg

I can't use it with my setup. It hits the sway bar. had to use dales under drive pulley.

you can get them from FCP for 60 bucks. or so.

Oh your right over the river from me you could come get it. I live in Portland 2 miles off I-205 you should come get it.

Drill through the pulley V groove, then run a tap through it, then a bolt through from inside the pulley. It needs to be balanced, so use four bolts at 90 degrees from each other.

I have done this using only two bolts 180 degrees out of phase. I welded the bolt heads to the balancer so they cant back out.

This is a good fix.

I did not weld the bolts to the pulley and they did not back out. Number 7 bit, 1/4-20 tap, and I think the 1/4-20 bolts where 1/2 inch long.

Back