• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1979 242 DL

chuck7703

Dear list,
First off excuse my ignorence. I am new to most of this. Today I turned 18 and I finally gained enough guts to ask this question to you guys. About a month ago i added another VOLVO to my colection. A 1979 242 DL. I have wanted a 242 since I got into the world of VOLVOs and finally got one and for only 200 bucks. So now is wear the Turbo Brick part of this post comes in I want to put the B21ft engine from a 1983 parts car I have. It ran when it was taken off the road in febuary of 2002. So I have been preping the 79's engine all week through rain and snow to be able to pull it this Saturday. Once I get it out what if any thing should I do to prep the 79 to accept the engine. Also I was considering an engine rebuild and a turbo rebuild then posibly adding an inner cooler and then who knows can any one offer me any sugestions .
thanks in advance
Chuck
Pine Hill NJ 08021
Its South Jersey
15 min from Phila

There's not much to be done to the engine bay to swap between B21F and B21FT aside from what you already know. You'll have to make room on the passenger front of the engine bay for the airbox for the turbo K jet, and may have to slide things out of the way on the driver's side. If you're going to be using an intercooler, you need a smaller fan shroud than what you have now, or you can convert to a low profile electric fan like from a mid 80's FWD GM car. It'd be easier to pull the engine and tranny together and then unbolt em outside the car. If you're swapping the engine out without removing the radiator and front of the nose, you'll want the car to be as high as possible to angle it up to clear as it exits the engine bay. Also remove the hood.

Also,
If your going to stick with K-Jet, I suggest, you move all the wiring from the Turbo car to the NA car. You may have to change the wiring behind the dash also. I'm not sure. When I did this swap, I didn't use K-Jet.

I suggest you intercool it. Thats where the power is... run more boost safely.

Jordan

Back