• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C Rear view mirror NOW WITH THRILLING UPDATE!

Bready

board deviant
Is there a way to tighten the ball socket on the rear view mirror?

Thanks

J b weld = adjust it once? Rough up the ball ? Take a sharp punch and puts some digits in the can ? Get a different mirror?

Well not really thrilling.

Noticed that the "ring" that I'm assuming provides tension on the ball socket came off and is just loosely hanging on the mirror arm. Anyone have any luck getting that thing back on? I screwed around with it for a bit but had little to no success.

Once the ball comes out of the socket it will always remain loose. I took one apart once. I wanted to replace the mirror with one from a different car that had lights on the bottom. Thought that would be a neat upgrade. It always flopped down. Finally got another one with the lights and modded the whole thing to fit. Used the windshield bracket that you glue in place and snaked the wires behind the trim. Sorry I can't help you . Just my own experiences.

All good appreciate both of your inputs.

The "ring" puts pressure on the plastic that surrounds the ball - hence creating tension. I think I'm just going to try to put a tie wrap there instead of the ring (doesn't seem to be any practical way to reattach that) and tighten it with a tie wrap gun to see if I can get the same result.

I'm totally shooting in the dark here, but could a spring be incorporated into the mechanism to restore stability? Alternatively, some adhesive foam tape/similar?

Put a condom on it and put it back in? Or the finger from a nitrite glove would work too I suppose....

Once the ball comes out of the socket it is very difficult to get tension back on it. I guess you can try to "peen" the edge all around.

Make a shim from plastic, wood, match sticks, aluminum foil?

Thought about that - (and was actually recommended earlier) probably the second plan if the tie-wrap doesn't accomplish what I'm trying to do.

Put a condom on it and put it back in? Or the finger from a nitrite glove would work too I suppose....

I don't want to take it off, it's still in the socket, not sure if it can be put back on without damaging the mirror and then all hell breaks loose since it's an integrated part of the security system.

My exact concern.

I asked for pics. You never provided.

Are you sure you don't place the clip and then press the ball into the socket? This is what I would suspect but cannot confirm as I have never had to troubleshoot a rear-view mirror.

Back