• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

SquareD's slow and steady 945 tarbo project

I know it's not going to be bad. I'd prefer to have another set of hands and it's just really, really hard to get chunks of time >45 minutes to do something that isn't work or family stuff. 3 kids under 10 and 50+ hours of your life wrapped up in working or commuting makes finding time for hobbies really hard.

Thankfully volvo made it so that these cars are easy to swap. no cutting or modding needed. Idk man dedicate a day or two for 2 weekends since you're ocd about it and get it done. I guarantee you will love driving this car 10x more.

I know it's not going to be bad. I'd prefer to have another set of hands and it's just really, really hard to get chunks of time >45 minutes to do something that isn't work or family stuff. 3 kids under 10 and 50+ hours of your life wrapped up in working or commuting makes finding time for hobbies really hard.

I only have one little one and I can still relate. I vote to do the jack stands in the garage idea so you can get to it whenever those 45 minute windows open. Might take more than a couple weekends. But it'll get done to your standards.

Does the 3.73 auto rear end do well with the m90?

Last edited:
Does the 3.73 auto rear end do well with the m90?

Yes it will, with a redblock. The Whiteblock cars in Europa got the 3.54 final gearing. Hopefully he bought the M90H, which has the ~3.5 first gearing..... the L versions have the ~3.7 which will make 1st gear less useful on flatland.

Dustin, do you need a clutch for your M90? My entire redblock setup will be sold off this spring; I've got a complete 940TDI clutch which is more than adequate for your needs. I've got the whole enchilada.... and since nobody who has inquired is willing to pay for a complete 7/9 kit, it will leave in pieces (in true TB fashion).

Yes it will, with a redblock. The Whiteblock cars in Europa got the 3.54 final gearing. Hopefully he bought the M90H, which has the ~3.5 first gearing..... the L versions have the ~3.7 which will make 1st gear less useful on flatland.

Dustin, do you need a clutch for your M90? My entire redblock setup will be sold off this spring; I've got a complete 940TDI clutch which is more than adequate for your needs. I've got the whole enchilada.... and since nobody who has inquired is willing to pay for a complete 7/9 kit, it will leave in pieces (in true TB fashion).

I never confirmed the version, Tiz told me the donor was a '97 with 85k on it. It ain't a slushbox or a M46 and that's good enough for me.:)

I probably should have just done the TDI clutch with it, since I probably could have gotten it in before my 3rd kid was born... but I waited for the Yoshifab flywheel/clutch setup. I appreciate the heads up though.

Fly me down for a weekend, I'll help us out! Haha. I haven't done an m90 swap, but did a getrag swap in my old 740. Can't be that bad!

Idk man dedicate a day or two for 2 weekends since you're ocd about it and get it done.

Just like that? boom!

:lol:

I don't remember the last time I had 2 weekends in consecutive months free, let alone 2 consecutive weekends free...

I do get what you mean though... and I'm mostly bustin yer chops. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Even if you've able to dedicate 15min a day to the car, by the end of the week, that's about 2 hours. It all adds up.

Do88 intercooler arrived recently and thankfully it was packaged well and undamaged when it got here. This thing is definitely beefy.
20180225_104726 by D H, on Flickr

AT hardlines make things more difficult, but with some help it's not too bad to wedge it down in there and button it back up.
20180225_114428 by D H, on Flickr

With the IC installed, I got in my first drive of 2018 in the wagon with a trip to the park with my daughters.
20180225_143821 by D H, on Flickr

Bit more oil in the CHARGEPIPES than I'd like to see, maybe sometime... whenever I'll piece together a flat flanged 19t, but not a huge priority. Along those lines the stock IC soft pipes are getting a touch spongy, I could probably use some fresh do88 silicone. I also ditched the "HKS SSVQ" and went back to the stock CBV setup with a fresh diaphragm.

Last edited:
The Vaggen looking good! Hope do88.se has learned a couple things about packaging those heavy ICs.... the damage to mine netted me a $150 refund, and I'm sure it will function AOK. I see where you taped yours off at the top of the front core supports.... I had to grind my sheet metal maybe ~2mm on the pass. side to get the unit to "center up" in the opening..... it wanted to favor the drivers side in my sedan. My system has been fitted with the 3" hose system from do88 and I purchased ClampCo (made in USA) T-bolt clamps to cinch it all together. I had more work fitting the replacement condenser than the do88!

Don't know how much boost you run with the 15g, but the gain in real flow and reduced temp are the benefits to the do88. Likely you don't have any data logging going on with LH2.4..... any butt dyno improvement?

Thanks! Yeah, mine seemed to favor the passenger side. It's around a 1/4 inch from the sheetmetal but I triple checked that everything was seated right and where it should be. It seems to be held in place really firmly, so shouldn't be a big deal. I might check to see if it's rubbing at all in a couple weeks.

I only took it on a 8 mile in town trip, so not much seat time but it seems to spool up a touch faster. I'm sure I'll notice the reduced temps. I took the car to the track last spring and IIRC I only did 3 runs because of how much heat soak I was getting (warm and humid night) with the stock IC.

Hmm, I should check my intercooler too for damage. The box held up OK, but its been a few months and I still haven't taken it out to look at it yet haha :lol:

Car looking good as always, SquareD!

Hmm, I should check my intercooler too for damage. The box held up OK, but its been a few months and I still haven't taken it out to look at it yet haha :lol:

Car looking good as always, SquareD!

Thanks man! You need to transfer that IC from one box to the other one... with wheels.

Internet peer pressure is best peer pressure? I'll have to at least look at the part soon...don't think I'll be able to get any discount on it now haha

Ha. DET17 asked me if it was going to just sit next to the m90... so I had to put it in ASAP.;-)

I love it when a plan comes together!

latest

20180428_144555_HDR by D H, on Flickr

Installing BNE Select Strut Mounts, QSRC's and EBC Red Stuff pads on the front. One side down, one side to go. I initially went for the OE setting, but Fortbrick talked me into trying the 20% faster quicksteer hole. Should be wrapped up no later that this Saturday.

Back