• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Volvo 240 Diesel D24 Starts and Dies

VolvoScout

Rebuilt injection pump recently installed into my '82 244 D24.

The pump was timed to .84mm.
The new fuel filter was primed with diesel along with the pump.

I confirmed 12v power to the injection pump solenoid and added Liqui Moly "Diesel Purge" to the injection pump via the "out" banjo bolt.

The engine starts and produces white smoke, but only for a few seconds until it stalls, even with the accelerator pedal pressed to the floor.

Prior the injection pump rebuild, the car was running fine, except for the leaking injection pump. The compression and injectors were confirmed to be good by a local mechanic.

Here's a video showing the latest attempt:
https://youtu.be/5_hqws4lTs4

Thoughts?

You have a 240D still running? I'm impressed.

I wore an '82 out in 13 years at 180k miles, far earlier than expected after careful maintenance.

My first thought is that you are yet to get fuel from the tank. There is no pump, other than the suction from the injector pump. You might try to fill the filter and anywhere else you can think of. Once it runs a bit that is likely to clear up if that is the problem.

Throttle spool looks a little jiggly. Would it be possible to use something like a vacuum brake bleeder to pull fuel from the outlet, make sure you're actually getting fuel from the tank?

I had my pump off a couple times over the years without any issues. Volvo had concerns about that but never did anything about it.

A vacuum pump as close to the pump as possible would certainly help.

Throttle spool looks a little jiggly. Would it be possible to use something like a vacuum brake bleeder to pull fuel from the outlet, make sure you're actually getting fuel from the tank?

Yeah, I tightened down the mounting bolts after the test start.

I just picked-up a Mity-Vac; going to try and use it to prime the pump as opposed to just pouring diesel in the pump.

I attached a Mity-Vac to the "out" return line of the injection pump and pumped about 2 gallons. Bubbles were present the entire time and are still present.

How long should this process take?
Does this indicate an air leak somewhere upstream of the pump?

I never had any problem with connecting the injector pump back up. Guess I only had it off once and bolted it back together without issue.

Sucking bubbles sure sounds like an issue. If my visualization of what you describe is correct then the pump would see the same air bubbles and might not be very happy.

I attached a Mity-Vac to the "out" return line of the injection pump and pumped about 2 gallons. Bubbles were present the entire time and are still present.

How long should this process take?
Does this indicate an air leak somewhere upstream of the pump?

You must have a cracked line or something. It does not take two gallons of priming to get the air out!

We'll I watched the video and your pedal cable thing there on top of the pump to control the fuel sure ain't bolted down tight like it's supposed to be. Might be why the fuel ain't getting to the injectors. All I could tell from the video. Did you try cracking a line right at an injector and seeing if fuel comes out while cranking? You just gotta figure out why fuel ain't getting to the injectors seems like. On one of my old ones, all long gone, it had leaky seal at the rear shaft for the pump drive and it would leak down fuel when parked. I could only get it to start running by push starting it. I've also pull started diesel volvo 240's that haven't been run in years.. Still might just need to get all the air out of the pump and lines.

We'll I watched the video and your pedal cable thing there on top of the pump to control the fuel sure ain't bolted down tight like it's supposed to be. Might be why the fuel ain't getting to the injectors. All I could tell from the video. Did you try cracking a line right at an injector and seeing if fuel comes out while cranking? You just gotta figure out why fuel ain't getting to the injectors seems like. On one of my old ones, all long gone, it had leaky seal at the rear shaft for the pump drive and it would leak down fuel when parked. I could only get it to start running by push starting it. I've also pull started diesel volvo 240's that haven't been run in years.. Still might just need to get all the air out of the pump and lines.

I mean, since it ran briefly in the video and sounded like it was firing on 6, I think it's safe to say fuel is getting to the injectors at some point. Also mine did that leaking when parked thing too but only if I parked it facing uphill. If it was on flat ground or facing downhill, no problem.

Found the problem, it turns out my timing was 180 degrees off.
That'll teach me to remove the cam cover and keep on eye on the lobes when I do the timing on the next d24, lol.

Back