• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AC Delco Rack Pinion Steering Rack? 240

GratefulNed

Chasing down a steering rack, have run my v8 swapped 240 with no p/s pump and all the fluid drained for a while, not sure exactly how bad that is for them but she also has over 350k on her. When i hookup power steering i guess ill find out if all the fluid ends up on the floor...
Steers real good manually though.

I cant find any reman units, and saw the AC delco rack was the most highly recommended one, but the part number seems to no longer exist anywhere.

Anyone know of where to find ac delco racks, or the best option for getting one rebuilt?

ACDELCO 36350910 {#19146585} might be seal kit...verify

ACDelco had Professional Remanufactured Rack and Pinion Assemblies, but I could not find any available for vintage Volvos

Many places are offering rebuilding service only to supply a good steering rack for you. Volvo steering rack sales aren't high enough demand to warrant them keeping racks on the shelves anymore.

Whoever could fab up some brackets to mount a more modern/available hydraulic rack to a 240 would make a killing. I have little fab experience of that magnitude, so I might be wrong/overlooking something but it doesn't seem /that/ hard.

What year 240 and which style rack?

It?s a 1993 Volvo 240, I haven?t checked whether it?s zf or cam, and also can?t decide if I would switch to a zf if I had the choice/didn?t have one already because I heard they?re ?thicker? in one small spot internally.

Any suggestions on a more modern rack to adapt to anyone? I?m no stranger to fabbing or dreaming...

CAM style rack 19320686 (36R0588) discontinued 4 March 2019
ZF style rack 19320695 (36R0597) discontinued 4 Sep 2019

Neither show any remaining GM/AC Delco supplier inventory.

You might want to contact Detroil Axle to check on availability.

They have racks for a bit over two hundred dollars but their site says they are currently out of stock.

Volvo gives you a sketchy rebuilt thing in the blue box or garbage CAM rack at best.
Have fun with that!

ZF are the only racks with components worth rebuilding.

Half the racks have been running around on black slop for fluid/fluid leaked/car ran around without a belly pan and allowed water/salt in to rust/pit rack & pinion gears with torn/shot boots on a front-mounted steering rack.

Good luck. You guys were all bitching & moaning about the cost/buying a good used rack with known good critical components & cost @ Jorgen to rebuild it/double evaluate it with 200-years experience/good quality control in the American steel-belt.

Waste not, want not?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YgSPaXgAdzE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CAM style rack 19320686 (36R0588) discontinued 4 March 2019

One site suggested

Part Number: 19320686 Brand: OPEL / GM / GMC / CHEVROLET
Origin: OEM

Opel is European...and one European site might have one

Site (Italy) says, "The brands we treated is: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Hummer, Jeep, Lincoln, Mercury, Pontiac."

So, was Volvo's rack customized for them, or was it just another rack used on other GM vehicles? Volvo may have used different tie rods ends...no doubt, Volvo used GM's pumps.

Like I said, RockAuto will have it rebuilt..but it must be sent to a rebuilder. A kit cost around $50.00 or so

LOL
Most of the rack gears are pitted/rusty/road slop contaminated.
Directional valve housing hogged out.
Volvo guys are cheap, they make quick ratio gears for the rare-bear version of the ZF power rack, but @ current exchange rates... ~$1000+.
Plus machining/sleeving & redoing rings & housing for directional valve if you've got usable gears & core & competent rebuilder/machinist.

Good luck.

competent rebuilder/machinist

So, you find a rebuilder, and have 50 done at a time. An active rebuilder should be able to source required parts.

Or

$179.79 CARDONE 261994 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Remanufactured; Includes Inner Tie Rods - Return and Rebuild Service Only - You send your part to be rebuilt and returned to you. We'll email shipping instructions after you submit your order. Info with ZF Gear; w/ Hydraulic Power Steering

$179.79 CARDONE 261994 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Remanufactured; Includes Inner Tie Rods - Return and Rebuild Service Only - You send your part to be rebuilt and returned to you. We'll email shipping instructions after you submit your order. Info with ZF Gear; w/ Hydraulic Power Steering

Interesting! So the above, plus shipping, and downtime during the turnaround. Shipping can't be cheap for an odd shaped object like this. Does anyone have any experience with utilizing this service?

V
Good luck. You guys were all bitching & moaning about the cost/buying a good used rack with known good critical components & cost @ Jorgen to rebuild it/double evaluate it with 200-years experience/good quality control in the American steel-belt.

Waste not, want not?

Fu?K....

"Due to unfortunate circumstances Jorgen Automotive is permanently closed. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you for the thirty plus years of business."

I just went through this too. Came across several posts that recommended Jorgen only to find they closed. Searched for a rebuilt for a while until parts geek got one in stock. Maval ZF rebuild for $350. It was delivered a few days ago. Looks like new, packaged well. Haven't installed it yet so I can't comment on how it well it works.

Back