• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Car stalls when accelerating on an incline

Elvolvito

Title says it all. My ?88 244 keeps stalling on me every here and then whenever I try giving it gas while it?s on an incline. I honestly don?t even know what to do anymore. I?ve replaced the spark plugs, fuses, cleaned the throttle body and MAF, as well as replaced the alternator. I?ve also replaced all 4 brake pads recently (if that helps). All this work has been done within the last month. Car has had this issue since I acquired it about 2 months back. Does anyone have any tips? I haven?t fiddled around with the fuel systems, however, I feel like it?s not that because I get great mpg.

I also do want to mention that ever since the stalling issue has worsened, I’ve noticed a weird sound coming from the front left wheel. Not sure if it correlates.

test the in-tank pump. disconnect the supply feed line at the rear of the main pump (should be a single worm clamp) and run the line into a container. then, at the fuse box, run a jumper wire from the LEFT side of the MAIN FUEL PUMP fuse to the RIGHT side of the IN TANK PUMP fuse - with the in-tank pump fuse removed.

if you get gas, the in-tank pump is working and your problem lies elsewhere. if you get no gas, it's either 1) dead and needs replaced, or 2) the wiring to/from it is faulty.

also read this article for more diag and insight: http://cleanflametrap.com/transferPump.htm

When i'm running out of gas, it'll buck or stall when accelerating hard or when on an incline. I'd check the in-tank pump.

Alright so I think I’m just going to replace all the fuel pumps and filters next month. I also forgot to mention that when I give the accelerator small pushes, the engine feels like it’s going to shut off. The idle stops and then starts again after a second. It’s really weird.

Yeah, between the firewall and the back of the motor basically on top of the bellhouse. I used about 18" of extensions and a 10mm socket and a flashlight IIRC. Easy enough DIY

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wgojsj5qHZg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Alright so I think I?m just going to replace all the fuel pumps and filters next month. I also forgot to mention that when I give the accelerator small pushes, the engine feels like it?s going to shut off. The idle stops and then starts again after a second. It?s really weird.

why would you replace all the pumps without testing them? did you attempt the diagnostic I recommended or read the article I posted? You are wasting money throwing parts at the car randomly. It takes 15min to test the in-tank pump and main pump.

why would you replace all the pumps without testing them? did you attempt the diagnostic I recommended or read the article I posted? You are wasting money throwing parts at the car randomly. It takes 15min to test the in-tank pump and main pump.

No, I was going to do that all next month anyways, as the car has 217,000 miles & I?m unsure how long the last ones have been in for. They look very grimey and old. I actually changed the fuel pump relay today and problem is still occurring, so it most likely is one of the fuel pumps or electrical lines.

How are your grounds?

I?ve checked out and cleaned almost all of them. Sprayed them with electrical cleaner and all. I honestly believe it must be a fuel issue at this point. The air intake on the engine should be good because the throttle body and the MAF have just been cleaned, as well as a brand new air filter.

Back