• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My '78 242 L33 turbo build

https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/post-pump-fuel-filtration/
Post pump fuel filter: When choosing a filter for use after the pump and before the engine, use an Aeromotive 10-micron (part numbers 12301 and 12310), 40-micron (part number 12335), or an acceptable equivalent. Note: these filters are for use on the fuel pump outlet side only.
My 40 micron filter should be fine, I'm replacing my old tank with a nice used non-rusty unit that will be thoroughly cleaned. I won't be fueling up in dust storms or anything, and the stainless elements are easy to clean.

if you have injectors worth anything and you want the keep the motor you just paid for not blown up, why risk it? just buy 10 micron elements.

Also, you can buy a brand new tank for $160-ish

Alright, I ordered 10 micron filters from Radium to match my surge tank. I couldn't get different elements for my Aeromotive filters so I guess I'll return them.

I was talked into a used factory tank because apparently the new repop tanks are thin and crappy, there's a big discussion about it somewhere, don't really feel like finding it right now. Moot point anyway since the tank will be here tomorrow probably.

Tonights fun has been trying to get wagon springs in (1.5 coils cut off, already installed new Bilsteins that came with the car), as a temporary measure to prevent the rear fender wells from crushing into my tires over bumps, and to correct the crazy dangerous back and forth action in the rear when going over large bumps. When undoing the nut for the springs one side snapped the nut off, the other side is free spinning. :grrr: Just got new spring washers but need to score nuts for them, and a second jack to support the swaybar, its preventing the suspension from dropping enough. Gonna just cut the one spring out that has the spinning nut and cut the top off.

Prepping my "new"" used OEM Volvo gas tank for paint. Yes I know it's galvanized, pointers are definitely welcome but I do know how to paint it. We have military surplus primer specifically for galvanized metal and it will be thoroughly wiped down with simple green then MEK before primer. The first pic has about 2 hours into cleaning, second pic is untouched still. I need to drill a hole for my -8AN surge tank return as well.
For cleaning the tank off, the best tool for the big chunks I found so far is a used gift card, the plastic doesn't dig into the galvanizing. A paint brush dusts off the chunks, Simple Green removes the dust so you can see whats what after putting time in. The worst parts are dust/dirt that has oil or gas soaked in, they stick a bit. The dry stuff chunks right in satisfying slabs haha.

jsCLpSdl.jpg

F1Hu9Fol.jpg

Haha, ya, that goes in this car. That's the drivers side one removed for cleaning. I don't have any extra 240 ones, glad I kept these from back in the day, they are pretty salty on ebay.

honestly, what works best for cleaning the undercoating off of the bottom of the tank is gasoline. It will soften it up to the point of being able to wipe it off.

Good call, I haven't gotten to the bottom yet, I did a few swipes at it, the lighter colored stuff chips right off, the darker stuff is stickier so will get soaked in gas or MEK when I get there. Gas or diesel probably, it smells better haha. Now very close to finishing the rough cleaning of the top of the tank :)

I've tried to powdercoat galvanized steel before and it always outgassed in the oven, causing a ton of bubbles, but maybe professional equipment can do that. I like that idea, I'll look into it.

that's a nifty surge tank, but only 2L? doesn't leave much to error with the lift pump configuration.

I thought it would be enough based on, well nothing concrete except they don't make a bigger one. I am using an Aeromotive 340 lph for a lift pump. I thought that would be enough, especially in N/A mode. I'd love to hear from more you guys that know this stuff better than I do. My tuner has been busy and I'm basically planning everything myself. That has lead to buying a couple things more than once :grrr:.
I pretty much have everything now for the fuel system:
Aeromotive 340 lph lift pump
Surge tank with two Walbro 255's in it
Two 10 micron fuel filters
Y fitting: two -6 AN to one -8 AN
Earlier return style fuel rails
Bulkhead fitting for surge tank return -8 AN
42lb injectors
New used fuel tank, new sending unit

That should easily feed the current 450 hp, hopefully a good bit more as well.
Any thoughts welcomed!

Guess I'm good to go then since no one has anything to say about my fueling plan. Peeling undercoating is so much fun! Heat gun and my used up Subway gift card are the main tools and working great!

So I have cleaned the undercoating off my fuel tank, but the inside is brown with fuel residue. That's fine if you aren't going to stick it in an oven for powdercoating...and having it cleaned properly is not that easy. Its very easy to clean the inside with POR 15 tank cleaner if you aren't going to do anything that involves heating/outgassing of residue. With the discussion we had in another thread people weren't liking the aftermarket fuel tanks, but no one including myself thought to look for a new factory tank. Guess what, you can still get them :grrr: Skandix has them and they have a flat rate weight based shipping. I already have an order in with them so we'll see if they charge more due to the size, emailed them tonight.
I have been talking to myself here for a few posts, but maybe someone else can use this info lol.
Another fuel tank fact not talked about much, there is a baffle under the sending unit, probably to stop the gauge from fluctuating because it is parallel to the bottom of the tank, it doesn't look like it will stop fuel starvation around hard cornering or heavy acceleration.

Did you ask them if the tank was OE or aftermarket? Skandix usually identifies the parts that are original Volvo and the tank isn't.

While you're correct that the tank is still available from Volvo (there are 150 of them in Sweden), it shows up as discontinued in the online catalogs. If you want to try to get an OE tank, PM my brother planetman.

You guys to the rescue again, thanks man! Skandix shows 6 in stock but it doesn't confirm they are OEM. If guys aren't hitting hiperfauto and planetman for parts you are missing out!

Did you ask them if the tank was OE or aftermarket? Skandix usually identifies the parts that are original Volvo and the tank isn't.

While you're correct that the tank is still available from Volvo (there are 150 of them in Sweden), it shows up as discontinued in the online catalogs. If you want to try to get an OE tank, PM my brother planetman.

It's available over there. I kind of suspect the Swedes are trying to keep the parts to themselves. lol.

Nice build. Looking like a lot of fun is in the near future.

Thanks! I'm not sure how near the fun is, it's been a pretty slow motion project...

Ya I found out what they want for an OEM tank, pretty pricey. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do
1-Finish my nice used tank, but it needs to be purged of fuel residue somehow to powdercoat it-about $500 to finish
2-Buy new OEM tank and powdercoat it $700 to $800 to finish
3-Buy aftermarket tank and powdercoat it $450 to $500 and less work than option 1
Obviously 3 is the logical option except its aftermarket tank...

ending mine was very easy, I flushed it with water and dishwasher detergent a few times. Cost nothing and now I have two walbro 450's. I'm also using l33 haha!

I thought it would be enough based on, well nothing concrete except they don't make a bigger one. I am using an Aeromotive 340 lph for a lift pump. I thought that would be enough, especially in N/A mode. I'd love to hear from more you guys that know this stuff better than I do. My tuner has been busy and I'm basically planning everything myself. That has lead to buying a couple things more than once :grrr:.
I pretty much have everything now for the fuel system:
Aeromotive 340 lph lift pump
Surge tank with two Walbro 255's in it
Two 10 micron fuel filters
Y fitting: two -6 AN to one -8 AN
Earlier return style fuel rails
Bulkhead fitting for surge tank return -8 AN
42lb injectors
New used fuel tank, new sending unit

That should easily feed the current 450 hp, hopefully a good bit more as well.
Any thoughts welcomed!

my wagon has a single 450 in-tank, and -6 an line going from the oe filter to the rail. works great to around 750whp

Back